Mazda-speed.com
December 01, 2021, 05:59:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydra Success fully Installed! Now Tuning...  (Read 14221 times)
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »

I don't think isn't a good suspension tuning tool.  Measure from the wheel well arch to the center of the hub front and back and let us know what the ride height is.

As you have been already told softening the shock doesn't soften the ride.  Springs/ride height are what affect the stiffness of the ride.  The shock setting affect the handling under load more than anything else.  Sometimes stiffer springs ride better than soft ones as the keep you off the bump stops on the street.  My 450/300 GC coil-overs road way better than my stock springs even though they were way stiffer.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »

When you have a chance, pull a front and rear tire and post some pics of the shocks.  Ride height doesn't look like it would cause you any issues. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Chrisbee
Fourth Gear

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 01:54:58 AM »

On the tuning side of things, I think that your plan of attack is exactly what I'd do. Get FM to get it pretty close so that when you do go to Ken Hill, it should be at a good spot (most likely on the conservative side) for him to get it tuned in more quickly (and more aggressive). Then take it to your local guy for some tweaking and to get it dynoed.

2004 TI #3021. Purchased Oct. 2014 with 56k miles.

Engine: FM 2 kit with Hydra 2.7, 700cc injectors, and full 3" exhaust.
FM Crossflow radiator w/stage 2 airflow kit.
Suspension: Fox Racing with FM sway bars.
Wheels: 15x8 Enkei PF01s running 215/50 BFG G-force Sports.
Misc: Custom Speedhut boost gauge in place of stock oil pressure gauge. Temp gauge mod. ScanGaugeII. Blue instrument panel lights. Eclipse dash vents.

Definitely a work in progress!
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »

TUNING UPDATE: Spoke with Jeremy at FM.  Got his email with what he needs.  Gave him maps for two 4th gear WOT pulls, two 1st to 2nd to 3rd pulls, warm idle, running at 40mph constant, and some maps for a problem I've been having.  I've been having some jerk shifts.  I'll quick shift and the car like hesitates before it kicks in and goes.  Jeremy said it might be a "lean tip in or something".  Not sure but sent him some maps of it happening.

He asked for my left bank long teem fuel trim table but I couldn't find it on the program.  Anyone know where that is?

2014 Acura ILX Dynamic- 6 Speed, A Peppy DD
MSM #2452- Velocity Red Mica
Engine Mods- 700cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors, Hydra 2.7 ECU, FM Front Mount Intercooler, FM Intake, FM Throttle Body Inlet Pipe, FM Dowpipe, FM Midpipe and Exhaust, TurboSmart Boost Controller, TurboSmart BOV
Drivetrain Mods- FM Level 1 Clutch, FM Level 1 Flywheel, FM SS Clutch Line, Corksport 3.63 Ring and Pinion
Audio/Electronics Mods- GROM Audio Adaptor, Cobra SPX5500 Hardwired Radar Detector, USB Charging Adapter
Suspension/Wheel/Tire Mods- TEIN Street Advance Coilovers, Advanti Storm S2s, Dunlop Direzza DZ102s
Brakes - Porterfield Carbon Pads
Safety - Harddog Hardcore M2 Double Diagonal Rollbar
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 12:08:57 AM »

SUSPENSION UPDATE: The suspension is too firm for sure.  I know the difference between firm and soft.  It's firm.

It's unbearable though.  I'm gonna email TEIN tomorrow and see what they say.  I'm also gonna pull the wheels off this weekend and take some pics for you Guys.  It's priority number one right now though.

Engine Mods- 700cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors, Hydra 2.7 ECU, FM Front Mount Intercooler, FM Intake, FM Throttle Body Inlet Pipe, FM Dowpipe, FM Midpipe and Exhaust, TurboSmart Boost Controller, TurboSmart BOV
Drivetrain Mods- FM Level 1 Clutch, FM Level 1 Flywheel, FM SS Clutch Line, Corksport 3.63 Ring and Pinion
Audio/Electronics Mods- GROM Audio Adaptor, Cobra SPX5500 Hardwired Radar Detector, USB Charging Adapter
Suspension/Wheel/Tire Mods- TEIN Street Advance Coilovers, Advanti Storm S2s, Dunlop Direzza DZ102s
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »

He asked for my left bank long teem fuel trim table but I couldn't find it on the program.  Anyone know where that is?

With your laptop connected to the Hydra and the key in "on", go to Tuning Maps -> Closed Loop -> Left Bank Long Term Fuel Trim.

You're going to want to get familiar with the the online help docs.  Help menu -> Help Topics is the full list of everything.  If you just choose Help -> Help, you'll get context-sensitive help for the map or dialog you're currently in (not so helpful if you don't know where you need to be).

Hydra help used to be absolutely awful, and now contains absolutely everything (though there's no free-text search).

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 01:09:39 AM »

Thanks Roto!

Also too, Jeremy said to set the psi at 10 and that the stock turbo losses efficiency after that.  I thought it was 12? I know Ken hill had a guy tune his to 14psi.

thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 03:20:47 AM »

Thanks Roto!

Also too, Jeremy said to set the psi at 10 and that the stock turbo losses efficiency after that.  I thought it was 12? I know Ken hill had a guy tune his to 14psi.

The general consensus is 12.
But Shawn Church had mine up to 16.. its all about having a good/great tune.

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
Canyonfive
National Champion BSP
Fifth Gear

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »

Thanks Roto!

Was that your stock turbo? and if so what did you end up with HP/Torque wise. I have yet to get up there for him to tune it.

www.miataspeed.com My YouTube Channel
My BSP build thread
Ebay IC, Custome Koni 2812's by Guy Akney, FM Intake, FM DP, Hallman Pro Rx @ 10psi, GFB VTA BOV, Carbotech Brake Pads F/R, 15 X 10 Custom Wheels, Hooiser A7's,  Memory Fab/ lotus seats , Custom from sway bar , Muffler Delete, Hydra 2.7 EMS Launch Control Flat shift E85 , 550RC's, Fuel Lab fuel filter,
StackSilverson
Fourth Gear

I'm loving this car.

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 04:17:47 AM »

Getting the MSM dyno'ed tomorrow.  Will post results.

thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 04:07:32 AM »

Thanks Roto!

Also too, Jeremy said to set the psi at 10 and that the stock turbo losses efficiency after that.  I thought it was 12? I know Ken hill had a guy tune his to 14psi.

Was that your stock turbo? and if so what did you end up with HP/Torque wise. I have yet to get up there for him to tune it.

Yes that was the stock turbo. It was actually around 16.36 if I remember correctly.
I got a thread somewhere posting my dyno sheet.
But I think it was 222HP/234lb...give or take 1-2 points either direction.
The Blouche tuned to what you see now.
I very highly recommend him...great guy and knows his stuff.
Not in the best neighborhood tho. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:12:24 AM by thomsoad » Logged

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
TheBigChill
Fifth Gear

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »

Thanks Roto!

The best way to determine this is by using the actual IHI supplied efficiency island map for this turbo.  Last I looked, it's relatively efficient all the way to ~12psi.  Peak efficiency was around 8psi.  A good tune does not affect a compressor's efficiency, but will instead help your car cope with the effects of pushing beyond peak efficiency   Smiley

If you have meth or a great intercooler, and are willing to overwork the turbo, boosting beyond peak efficiency is ok.  However, avoid being like the VW guys (APR, Revo, etc) who boost tiny K03 turbos to 20psi on their off-the-shelf tunes  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: