Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 10:24:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 949Racing/Fab9 Motor Mounts 70D  (Read 3165 times)
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« on: September 11, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »

Not sure which ones I have since I got them from a member here, but I think both mounts are the same. I've had these in for a few hundred miles and will give you my initial impressions, after a week, and a final take. The MSM mounts retail for around $250 and are supposed to be a more permanent solution for the bigger power/track guys. My replacement "mazdaspeed competition" mounts lasted all of a year (4000 miles) of street driving, so I needed something tougher.

Unboxing: The mounts are heavy and look to be very well made. The metal is thick, welds are strong, hardware is shiny, and poly insert is stiff. Overall most of you will never see these again, but they are pretty.

Install: Took about 2-3 hours. Hardest part was removing the old mounts. These are made in a way where removing the engine at a later point is much easier and the poly inserts can be changed over time for maintenance or stiffening reasons

First impressions: holy crap these are stiff. too stiff. why did I do this? I'm going to hate driving my car. between 1500-2500rpm EVERYTHING rattles, and LOUD. My windshield surround, airbag cover, fuse cover, MAKE IT STOP! Exhaust noise increased

One week later: Ahhh much better! Most of the vibration is gone, as are the rattles and noises. Exhaust is still louder, especially under deceleration, but not a ton.

How do they feel/work? Well, they just do. The shifter barely moves now, downshifts are much much easier, and I am no longer missing 3rd gear on hard up-shifts. Wheel-hop was greatly reduced as well. The bottom line is if you can tolerate the first few hundred miles of rattling, noises, and feeling your car is going to fall apart at any second, once they mellow out, they are much more tolerable (only a little more vibration than before they were installed). The other thing we noticed is that the engine now sits higher than it did before, by about 1/8-1/4 inch, which means the old mounts were crushed down that much within only a year. Definitely a more permanent solution, highly recommended.

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:47:28 AM »

I heard the 949 guys have found that a good compromise is installing one of their mega mounts on the passenger side and leaving the mazdacomp mount on the driver's side.  This alleviates the tear that is common on that side with high horsepower but cuts the NVH of the stiffer design in half by leaving the motor cushioned on one side.  I think I'll do this over the winter.  If you didn't destroy your one good (less damaged) mazcomp taking it out, you could try this and tell me if I'd like it.   rolleyes Tongue Tongue

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:35:40 PM »

I heard the 949 guys have found that a good compromise is installing one of their mega mounts on the passenger side and leaving the mazdacomp mount on the driver's side.  This alleviates the tear that is common on that side with high horsepower but cuts the NVH of the stiffer design in half by leaving the motor cushioned on one side.  I think I'll do this over the winter.  If you didn't destroy your one good (less damaged) mazcomp taking it out, you could try this and tell me if I'd like it.   rolleyes Tongue Tongue
I saw the "hybrid" system after I purchased these from the member. To be honest, after their few hundred mile break-in, they are not harsh enough for me to consider them significantly harsher than the OEM style mounts. I wouldn't bother with the hybrid unless its a DD, and even then, I don't think the 70D mounts are bad after a few weeks.

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: