Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 10:49:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KO Racing - Hydra Tuner++ Highly Recommended  (Read 6055 times)
rstange1
Fifth Gear

« on: October 06, 2015, 04:52:35 AM »

I just returned from a road trip to Oregon so I could have Kris Osheim at KO Racing tune my Hydra. Kris is a mechanical engineer, an authorized Hydra dealer, and he runs a performance shop that specializes in Toyota MR2s. I came away thoroughly impressed with the work Kris does. His calm, inquisitive, logical, and tenacious nature, combined with a deep understanding of the Hydra and all things automotive make Kris exactly the kind of person a car enthusiast would want performing this complex work.

One of the things I really appreciate about Kris is that he is very thorough. Before my car was anywhere close to its first dyno pull, Kris had inspected the combustion chambers, run a compression test, percentage leak down test, and cooling system pressure test. He also re-calibrated both the throttle position and O2 sensors and verified the base ignition timing. Iím probably missing some details, but believe me when I tell you, Kris is very thorough.

This thorough approach carried through each phase of the tune. Anything that didnít seem right with the car was explored and addressed. For example, Kris wasn't happy with the data my wideband O2 sensor was returning. Rather than guess and tune, Kris pulled my O2 sensor and installed the sensor from his dyno in its place so he could get clean data for the tune. Kris even went to the effort of removing my down pipe so he could weld in another bung so both the O2 sensor from his dyno and the Hydraís O2 sensor could temporarily co-exist in the pre-cat exhaust stream while he tried to sort out what was up with my O2 sensor.

With the dyno work was complete, it was time to road-tune the car, and the thorough approach continued. Kris has a 20-minute loop mapped out near his shop that includes city, country, and highway driving, with multiple elevation changes and all kinds of opportunity to see how the car behaves in real-world conditions. We drove the route many times (I actually lost count) while Kris monitored and tweaked the Hydra from the passenger seat. This added the finishing touches to the foundational work performed on the dyno. A real nice touch.

KO Racing is located in Oregon City (Portland area). I had to travel a full day to get there, including several hundred miles, a lengthy ferry ride, and an international border crossing. For this quality of work, I would make the trip again in a heart beat, even if it were twice the distance. Iím extremely pleased with the results and highly recommend Kris and KO Racing.

KO Racing is located at:
1701 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City, OR 97045
Email: kris@koracing.net
Phone: 503-496-0563

'05 Ti MSM with: Flyin' Miata Downpipe, Midpipe, Exhaust | Hydra 2.7 ECU w/KO Racing tune | Deatschwerks 700cc Injectors | Turbosmart Manual Boost Controller | BEGi Cool Air Intake, Intercooler, Throttle Inlet | Forge Bypass Valve | FCM Elite Coilovers | Racing Beat 1.125" Tubular Front Sway Bar | Whiteline Endlinks | Enkei 15x8 PF01s | Hankook 225/45 R-S3s | Hard Dog HCHTDD Roll Bar | MiataRoadster Short Shift Kit | Audiovox Cruise Control | Sylfex AuxMod | VDO Boost Gauge | ScanGauge II | BlendMount | Cocomats
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »

I have been using Kris for 3+ years. His tunes are simply awesome and I have experienced his thorough approach first-hand. He also does amazing fab work and has a turbo kit for a Miata that will produce in the neighborhood of 350whp on a built 1.8. My friend John Mann has the prototype kit on his car and it is stupid fast.  As mentioned, Kris normally works on Toyota MR2s and had one at his shop last time I was there that held the shop record for WHP and torque (both north of 700) which includes his chipped F350 tow vehicle with a 7.3 power stroke.

Anyone in the PNW who needs any fab or tuning work should give him a call and see what he can do for you.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »

I wish this thread had come up 3 months earlier.
I would have loved to have stopped by his shop when i did my US1/101 trip up to Canada.
I have seen almost every state in the continental US and IMO Oregon is the most beautiful state i have ever seen.  afro

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »

I have been using Kris for 3+ years. His tunes are simply awesome and I have experienced his thorough approach first-hand. He also does amazing fab work and has a turbo kit for a Miata that will produce in the neighborhood of 350whp on a built 1.8. My friend John Mann has the prototype kit on his car and it is stupid fast.  As mentioned, Kris normally works on Toyota MR2s and had one at his shop last time I was there that held the shop record for WHP and torque (both north of 700) which includes his chipped F350 tow vehicle with a 7.3 power stroke.

Anyone in the PNW who needs any fab or tuning work should give him a call and see what he can do for you.
Does John Mann happen to live around my neck of the woods? Just funny that there's a guy around my way that just opened a speed shop, drives a turbo NC, and uses the forum name Mann.

OP, glad you got what seems like a great tune, you'll find it's one of the most important things you can spend money on with the car. What did you end up making on what PSi and dyno?

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
hox
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation.    I live in Portland so it will be great to give him a call. 

2004 TI Gray MSM:  Production number: 2209 Production date: 2004-03-30
Modifications:

ECU: MSPNP-Pro, Tuned by KO Racing and Adrenaline Racing
Current output: 205 whp, 214 1b/ft torque @ 11 psi.

Roll Bar: Boss Frog Clearview with harness bar

Fuel: DW300 fuel pump, Fuel injector clinic 775cc injectors

Gauges: Autometer Ultra Lite II: boost/vac, full sweep water temp , full sweep oil temp

Engine: Flyin Miata CAI, FMII elbow with GM IAT,  Flyin Miata downpipe and exhaust, Skunk2 throttle body, FMII cold side piping.  FM oil return check valve, AWR/Mazdacomp hybrid motor mount system, Stock MSM Coils, MagnaCore plug wires

Drivetrain: MiataRoadster Short Shifter, ACT HD Clutch, ACT StreetLite Flywheel,  Energy Suspension Poly Differential mounts,

Suspension: Xida CS coilovers 550F/350R, Racing Beat Endlinks, Racing Beat 1.125 tubular front sway, factory rear sway, Bauer extended lower ball joints, R-package tie rod ends

Wheels/Tires/Brakes : Gen 4 6ULs 15x8, Yokohama AD08 205 50 15, Street Pad: Carbotech 1521, Track: Cobalt Friction XR2/XR4, Powerstop slotted rotors

Cooling: AC delete, Flyin Miata Intecooler, Flyin Miata Crossflow radiator, Spal stage II fans, 90:10 water: coolant+ water wetter, Flyin Miata Oil Cooler

Seats/harness/safety: Marrad LX1,  Schroth Profi II 6pt harness, Hans

Alpine CDE-SXM145BT CD Receiver Single DIN,  Alpine door speakers and tweeters.   Sirius/XM enabled with rear deck antenna.  

Fluids: Differential: Amsoil SVG, Transmission: Amsoil MTG, Motor: Amsoil Dominator 10W30 track,  Mobil1 0W40 Street.  WIX or Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »

Does John Mann happen to live around my neck of the woods? Just funny that there's a guy around my way that just opened a speed shop, drives a turbo NC, and uses the forum name Mann.

John lives in Grant's Pass OR and goes by jmann on the forums he visits.  I don't think he is here because his cars have been non-MSM NBs.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
hox
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »

Finished up working with Kris a few weeks ago on my Megasquirt.  The final tune was very nice.

2004 TI Gray MSM:  Production number: 2209 Production date: 2004-03-30
Modifications:

ECU: MSPNP-Pro, Tuned by KO Racing and Adrenaline Racing
Current output: 205 whp, 214 1b/ft torque @ 11 psi.

Roll Bar: Boss Frog Clearview with harness bar

Fuel: DW300 fuel pump, Fuel injector clinic 775cc injectors

Gauges: Autometer Ultra Lite II: boost/vac, full sweep water temp , full sweep oil temp

Engine: Flyin Miata CAI, FMII elbow with GM IAT,  Flyin Miata downpipe and exhaust, Skunk2 throttle body, FMII cold side piping.  FM oil return check valve, AWR/Mazdacomp hybrid motor mount system, Stock MSM Coils, MagnaCore plug wires

Drivetrain: MiataRoadster Short Shifter, ACT HD Clutch, ACT StreetLite Flywheel,  Energy Suspension Poly Differential mounts,

Suspension: Xida CS coilovers 550F/350R, Racing Beat Endlinks, Racing Beat 1.125 tubular front sway, factory rear sway, Bauer extended lower ball joints, R-package tie rod ends

Wheels/Tires/Brakes : Gen 4 6ULs 15x8, Yokohama AD08 205 50 15, Street Pad: Carbotech 1521, Track: Cobalt Friction XR2/XR4, Powerstop slotted rotors

Cooling: AC delete, Flyin Miata Intecooler, Flyin Miata Crossflow radiator, Spal stage II fans, 90:10 water: coolant+ water wetter, Flyin Miata Oil Cooler

Seats/harness/safety: Marrad LX1,  Schroth Profi II 6pt harness, Hans

Alpine CDE-SXM145BT CD Receiver Single DIN,  Alpine door speakers and tweeters.   Sirius/XM enabled with rear deck antenna.  

Fluids: Differential: Amsoil SVG, Transmission: Amsoil MTG, Motor: Amsoil Dominator 10W30 track,  Mobil1 0W40 Street.  WIX or Mobil 1 extended performance oil filter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: