Mazda-speed.com
November 21, 2018, 04:44:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tein Street Advance Question  (Read 3106 times)
Carrin1989
First Gear

« on: November 24, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »

I've been doing some searching over the internet and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. I recently purchased a set of Tein Street Advance coilovers from Moss Miata, and they are supposed to have 16 degrees of dampening adjustment. When I adjust mine, from full soft to full hard there are 32 clicks. Does anyone know if they updated the Street Advances to have more degrees of adjustment? Or is it 2 clicks per setting giving it 16 degrees of adjustment? Thanks!

4 Miatas and counting. 1993 Miata, 1994 M Edition Miata, 2001 Miata. Current car, 2004 VR MSM. Current mods, Boss Frog roll bar, AEM UEGO, FM O2 signal modifier, GReddy Profec B Spec II boost controller, Track Dog Racing full aluminum radiator, authentic HKS SSQV IV BOV, FM 2.5" downpipe, custom 2.5" straight pipe from cat back, Tein Street Advance coilovers, Konig Wideopen 15x8's on Advan AD08R tires.
m3fan4ever
Third Gear

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

If I remember correctly, to adjust the damping you are always supposed to start at full stiff and go back 0-16 clicks. I think it said don't go past 16 or you risk damaging the shock. Not sure how it damages it, but I wouldn't do it. You will probably find you like the shocks set around 8 clicks+/- a few anyway. I'm also not sure why they would design it to have 32 clicks if it is bad to go past 16, but I assume it has something to do with how it is manufactured. You would think they would have the hard stop at 16.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:53:33 PM by m3fan4ever » Logged

2004 MSM Ti GT #1796 - Purchased 12/13
Flyin' Miata "Little Enchilada"; Flyin' Miata "Happy Meal" (10.3 lb flywheel); 15x7 Advanti Storm S1, Dunlop Direzza DZ102; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; Hawk HPS Brake Pads; Mazda Competition Motor Mounts; MiataRoadster Tall Angled Short Shifter Kit, VMS Racing Type-R Shift Knob; KOYO Hyper-V 36mm Radiator; Autometer Boost Gauge, Linear Water Temp Gauge Mod, Oil Pressure Light Mod; Xentec HID Conversion - 6000K 55W; Plastidipped Badges
Maduh
M-S.com Guinea pig.
Fifth Gear

Herp Derp.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »

With cheaper coilovers there's not really a huge difference between 1-2 clicks. 90% of the 16 way adjustable budget coilovers under the $1200 range in my opinion are really more just, full soft, medium, and stiff. With about every 5-6 clicks making a noticeable difference.

Not sure how you'd be getting 32 clicks though. Maybe double check with tein support, maybe you got a bad batch? Do all of the coils have 32 clicks? 

RIP #361 05' Black Mica Mazdaspeed mx-5, swap in progress to 1999 Miata Base. Follow my build thread here: http://tinyurl.com/pwtx3f9
m3fan4ever
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »

Mine also have more than 16 clicks but I did not count how many. I have yet to install mine and they are packed away for now. I am getting them for Christmas but opened the box when it arrived to make sure everything was alright. Some of the worst packaging I've ever seen from a reputable company, but they were undamaged.

2004 MSM Ti GT #1796 - Purchased 12/13
Flyin' Miata "Little Enchilada"; Flyin' Miata "Happy Meal" (10.3 lb flywheel); 15x7 Advanti Storm S1, Dunlop Direzza DZ102; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; Hawk HPS Brake Pads; Mazda Competition Motor Mounts; MiataRoadster Tall Angled Short Shifter Kit, VMS Racing Type-R Shift Knob; KOYO Hyper-V 36mm Radiator; Autometer Boost Gauge, Linear Water Temp Gauge Mod, Oil Pressure Light Mod; Xentec HID Conversion - 6000K 55W; Plastidipped Badges
Carrin1989
First Gear

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 05:03:02 PM »

With cheaper coilovers there's not really a huge difference between 1-2 clicks. 90% of the 16 way adjustable budget coilovers under the $1200 range in my opinion are really more just, full soft, medium, and stiff. With about every 5-6 clicks making a noticeable difference.

Not sure how you'd be getting 32 clicks though. Maybe double check with tein support, maybe you got a bad batch? Do all of the coils have 32 clicks? 

I have 32 clicks on all of them. I'll have to call Tein and ask and see.

4 Miatas and counting. 1993 Miata, 1994 M Edition Miata, 2001 Miata. Current car, 2004 VR MSM. Current mods, Boss Frog roll bar, AEM UEGO, FM O2 signal modifier, GReddy Profec B Spec II boost controller, Track Dog Racing full aluminum radiator, authentic HKS SSQV IV BOV, FM 2.5" downpipe, custom 2.5" straight pipe from cat back, Tein Street Advance coilovers, Konig Wideopen 15x8's on Advan AD08R tires.
Carrin1989
First Gear

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »

Mine also have more than 16 clicks but I did not count how many. I have yet to install mine and they are packed away for now. I am getting them for Christmas but opened the box when it arrived to make sure everything was alright. Some of the worst packaging I've ever seen from a reputable company, but they were undamaged.

I agree, lots of brown cardboard. I honestly expected a nicer box with some formed foam inside, or at least some packing peanuts.

TheBigChill
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »

^ This.  Higher-end coilovers don't have eleventy billion points of adjustment, because the ones they do have actually make a noticeable difference.  Bilstein PSS9's have 9 points, while Megan EZ Streets or whtever have 32.

Anyhow, as others have said, you should not adjust past the 16 "clicks" on that particular shock, even though the shock allows you to.  Let us know how you like the Tein SA, as they sure have come down in cost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: