Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 11:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XIDA Gen2 700/400 Coilover Review  (Read 12488 times)
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« on: December 14, 2015, 02:25:42 PM »

I've owned my MSM for a little over 6 years, during which time I've had a few setups. Obviously, most of us started on the stock Billies and MSM springs. The first route I chose were the FM springs, which did not give me the ride height I wanted, but performed impressively. The second setup was a set of Raceland (laugh it up) Coilovers, which gave the height I wanted, but left performance to be desired. When a friend started working at a speed shop, he gave me a deal on a set of Tein FLEX 7kg/6kg Coilovers, which were a decent blend of both. I lived with this mentality for 3 years, but when I got the tuning done and doubled the stock power, I started looking at higher end setups like the Fat Cat Motorsports, FOX, AFCO (which are no longer around), and the XIDA. After a several month long mental struggle, the recent price drop on the XIDA coilovers sealed the deal. Let me tell you, they are a no compromise solution to both ride quality AND performance, and in the words of Donald Trump: "They made my Miata great again!"

The spring rates I went with are the 700/400, so to compare it to my TEINs fairly, here's a breakdown in lb/in for both

TEIN - 392/336
XIDA - 700/400
Ride height for both 4.25"f/4.5"r pinch weld to ground

Product Link - http://949racing.com/xida-coilover-miata.aspx

What I found with the TEINs with their 32 points of adjustment, was that they were underdamped at low settings, but too stiff in the higher settings, and I did not find a medium ground that suited both. Now, this is to be expected with coilovers in the $900 range (though they were 1300 when I got them), and I am to blame for getting the 7/6 setup, which in retrospect is not the correct balance for our cars, but the dampers are what they are. I don't get to the track really, so most of my fun driving is on windy country roads, which are not paved as ideally as a track is. On lower settings, the TEINs were just too soft, and produced a lot of body roll. On higher settings, going over these bumps in the turns would make the car jump and shift over a few inches to the outside of the corner, and since I'm not doing rally racing, airtime was not what I wanted.

Fast forward to the XIDAs which have 20 points of adjustment. When I initially put them in, I left the shop at a setting of 3 front 2 rear. I have to say, I had the most comfortable ride home, with ride qualities resembling a luxurious BMW, and handling properties reminding me of the old FM Spring setup on the Bilsteins. I couldn't go home, I had to see what else these could do! I set the dampers to 8 front and 6 rear and drove further, now feeling a firmer ride, still with a very German solid feel, less roll when doing quick swerve manuevers, not a note of harshness. I upped the ante again, 12 front, 10 rear, and this is where I have left them since. Ride qualities are still incredible, the steering response is nuts, and grip even in yesterday's 60 degree weather during a night cruise did not make me feel like I was out on slicks, inspiring tons of confidence.

A friend who does tons of racing in his NA FM2 Miata with aero, who runs TEIN MonoFLEX 10kg/8kg (that's 560/448in/lb) did my alignment on the car and was very impressed with how they performed, though being a good friend he did not push my car. Last night I decided to take him out, and took him over a local bridge that has absolutely horrid joints. We went over the joint at 30mph, feeling little discomfort, and my friend telling me how his TEINs would break his spine every time going over the same bridge. Taking corners, the car felt absolutely composed, soaking up all of the imperfections in the road, responding crisply to sharp inputs, and my favorite test, the "last second pothole swerve", was just beastly. An hour later, we took the same bridge home at 40mph, again, incomparable to the TEIN setup I grew to like over the last 3 years.

I will update this with track impressions when I get out there in the spring, but WOW is the quickest way I can think of to describe this setup. Despite the stiffer spring rates, the ride quality seems to have done a complete 180* turn, while the handling properties seem to have exponentially improved as well. I think this is particularly due to the Tractive dampers which seem to soak up almost any road imperfections, and taking the bumpy kind of turns I encounter almost effortlessly, with only the deepest potholes causing any trouble. I know these are a $2,000 setup and not in everyone's budget. I know that suspension alone will not improve lap times, and I am fully capable of admitting that my buddy with his TEIN setup and 100whp less than myself, will still run laps around me on the track. However, if you're on the fence about buying this setup, it's all people say it is and more. For the 2 weeks I was waiting for this setup to ship, I was creating expectations in my head, and when I got the coilovers, for some reason, I did not think my expectations would be met. I'm happy to say that my expectations have been XIDA'd (hahaha), and it is yet another product from 949Racing that is a staple in the Miata community.

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »

Glad you like them. Did you get the plastic upper spring retainers or did you go full on and get the billet mounts? What brand springs did they ship with?

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:07:59 PM »

Glad you like them. Did you get the plastic upper spring retainers or did you go full on and get the billet mounts? What brand springs did they ship with?
When I ordered, the Coaxial mounts were still in development so I got the plastic locators and the OEM NB hats from 949 since my old ones were sold with the old Bilsteins. Anoter benefit was it all came assembled.

I ended up with Eibach in the front and Hyperco in the rear. I had the option to wait 3-4 more weeks since the Hyperco 700lbs were on backorder, but Emilio said they had used both springs before so I mixed it up.

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

Supposedly they are getting billet mounts again. I ordered them with my 800/500 set but that portion got cancelled. Otherwise, I'm as happy as he is, they're absolutely great. I have Hyperco springs all around

FM Big Enchilada, 15x9 6UL with 225/45 BFG Rivals
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:32:19 PM »

They have the billet ones in the "Blem" section, apparently have scratches but otherwise perfect and never installed. They are $159 a pair, but I don't feel like shelling out $300 plus shipping, and then having to pull and disassemble my coils to install them.

joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 01:03:16 AM »

The billet mounts tend to be harsh on the street. Any pics of that plastic piece? I don't think I've seen one since I "encouraged" their development a while back.

05 Mica, Sparco Speed, Hard Dog ACE with custom harness bar, Ultrashield 6 point harnesses,FM complete intake, O2 mod, FM downpipe, MR short shifter. Xida 700/400, 3.63 R+P (Spare), 3:9 R+P (current),EWUSA FMIC, Derale hardline delete PS cooler, FM Stage 2 fans w/ OEM connectors, Custom fab IC/Rad ducting, custom cowl intake/heatshield, Ultragauge,Rumblestrip Predictive Lap timer, APR custom mounted rear wing, Custom made streetable/removable front splitter, Run-Cool hood Louvers
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 05:43:43 AM »

Xidas are the real deal - amazing ride and handling.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »

The billet mounts tend to be harsh on the street. Any pics of that plastic piece? I don't think I've seen one since I "encouraged" their development a while back.
If you go to the product link and scroll down, there is a video of how to assemble the XIDAs, and you can see the locator towards the end of the video.

darkcambria
Third Gear

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »

What plastic piece are you asking about, the spring isolator?

FM Big Enchilada, 15x9 6UL with 225/45 BFG Rivals
joeereid
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:05:54 PM »

What plastic piece are you asking about, the spring isolator?
Yes, the part between the spring and the top hat/mount

SeanE
Third Gear

'05 LO #76

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:27:06 AM »

I'm hoping to finally getting around to installing mine in a couple months. They've only been sitting in my closet for almost 2 years unopened!  Smiley

Sean E.
'05 LO MSM d (Enthuza Downpipe, Midpipe & Exhaust) Boost Solenoid Mod, FM full intake kit, block8head vent gauge pod.

'13 Black Mica MS3 w/Tech Pkg.(HPFP Internals, Air Intake, RMM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: