Mazda-speed.com
January 20, 2022, 02:11:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play in your stick (and how to fix it)  (Read 45188 times)
Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 10:56:18 PM »

Here's what it looks like on an NA miata...
http://www.miata.net/garage/trans/29.htm
Pretty much the same in the MSM.

'04 Ti, FM DP + MagnaFlow exhaust
Los Angeles (next to Venice beach), CA
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 11:16:55 PM »

Hey, Rodeo, you are almost there.  The stick should just lift out of where you put the red arrow - nothing else to unscrew.  Maybe your bushing is sideways inside there making is feel like it's not supposed to come out.  The bushing should be attached to the deep end of the stick but yours likely popped out.

I have both the VR andTi pulled apart, neither will lift right out, do I have to give it a firm tug?

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 03:37:50 AM »

Hey, Rodeo, you are almost there.  The stick should just lift out of where you put the red arrow - nothing else to unscrew.  Maybe your bushing is sideways inside there making is feel like it's not supposed to come out.  The bushing should be attached to the deep end of the stick but yours likely popped out.

I have both the VR andTi pulled apart, neither will lift right out, do I have to give it a firm tug?

Sucess! It's all fixed! Kudos Agro321 for writing this up! I did just need a light upward force lift to get the shifter out of the base. The bushing was not on the ball of the shifter, so it had popped off. I fished it out, placed it back on the shifterball, lined it back up, and placed it back in the hole. Viola, problem solved!

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 03:47:23 AM »

Some pics once I got the shifter to lift out of it's base, they show the bushing:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 01:10:42 AM by RODEO » Logged

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 03:50:35 AM »

2 questions:

1) is there supposedto be trans oil visible when looking down the hole? See this link: http://www.miata.net/garage/trans/26.htm

2) the gasket on the underside of the mount was damaged when installed at the factory, ione of the bolts had grabbed it, when I removed the bolt, part of the gasket tore away. Do I need to replace it. I put it back on for now as you see in the pic below:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 01:11:05 AM by RODEO » Logged

SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 01:09:06 PM »

No visible oil in the 6 speed turret because it is a direct connection to the rest of the the tranny.  Fill it with oil and you will over fill the tranny.   shocked

There should be some grease on the shifter though.

I'm surprised at this thread as I have not heard of this issue before.  I'm wondering how this bushing is popping off??  Anyone have any idea.

As for the gasket I wouldn't really be too concerned.  If it really bothers you, you could always put a very small amount of gasket sealer on it.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 06:45:44 PM »

No visible oil in the 6 speed turret because it is a direct connection to the rest of the the tranny.  Fill it with oil and you will over fill the tranny.   shocked

There should be some grease on the shifter though.

I'm surprised at this thread as I have not heard of this issue before.  I'm wondering how this bushing is popping off??  Anyone have any idea.

As for the gasket I wouldn't really be too concerned.  If it really bothers you, you could always put a very small amount of gasket sealer on it.

Thanks afro

That question of why is it popping off is a good one, anyone know why????

Rob.Tuner
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 08:09:17 PM »

Might be quite newbish to ask this, but is there a way to "glue" it or something to make it stick to whatever it sticks to [the bushing]? I've never seen inside the shifter part of a manual transmission, so i dunno what all goes on in there, but that white part is slipping off correct?

05 Lava Orange.
171/1428.
AEM Intake // Ebay Downpipe // HKS SSQV // H&R Coil Overs // Trackdog Racing Spliiter with APR Supports
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 09:38:40 PM »

Might be quite newbish to ask this, but is there a way to "glue" it or something to make it stick to whatever it sticks to [the bushing]? I've never seen inside the shifter part of a manual transmission, so i dunno what all goes on in there, but that white part is slipping off correct?

That white part is the bushing/grommet, the problem is the ball at the base of the shift levercomes out of the bushing, it pops out. The bushing stays in place, and the ball of the shifter is riding on top of the bushing. IN the pics I posted, the bushing is connected to the ball, HOWEVER, imagine the bushing not on the ball but staying in place in the hole of the shift turret, that's what it looks like when the problem occurs. HTH!

Don't know if there is a fix.

Rob.Tuner
Fifth Gear

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 11:21:09 PM »

that is butt, i wish one of the engine tuners would develop some kind of stage zero + 1 kit to fix this issue for once and for all, but oh well. not that big a of deal. so it only pops out when you rough up the shifter a bit yea?

05 Lava Orange.
171/1428.
AEM Intake // Ebay Downpipe // HKS SSQV // H&R Coil Overs // Trackdog Racing Spliiter with APR Supports
Agro321
Third Gear

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »

that is butt, i wish one of the engine tuners would develop some kind of stage zero + 1 kit to fix this issue for once and for all, but oh well. not that big a of deal. so it only pops out when you rough up the shifter a bit yea?
I would guess that the only fix would be to manufacture a bushing that envelops more of the ball at the end of the shifter so that it grabs on better.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Mine used to pop out when getting into reverse.  Now I go into 5th gear before reverse and haven't had the problem for a while.

'04 Ti, FM DP + MagnaFlow exhaust
Los Angeles (next to Venice beach), CA
uncompiled
Fifth Gear

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 02:28:47 PM »

On my Toyota, the TRD shifter that was on it had a little metal clip that kept the bushing from coming off the shifter.  I just hope it doesn't happen again.

私は日本の鉄鋼
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 10:31:05 PM »

Cross topic thread:
http://mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2018.0;topicseen

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 09:43:50 PM »

A permanent solution? check the link below as I asked that same question there.

Source

So today I put all new bushings and wave springs in his car today, But I also places a flat washer under the pivot bushing, 2mm thick, 20mm wide, with a 10mm hole. This will keep the pivot bushing from falling past the reach of the shifter, actually keeping it from ever coming off in the first place.

matt
Fifth Gear

moo?

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 03:59:44 PM »

This was an outstanding read, the last few post were excellent!

Hard to believe such a littly thingy can have such a profound effect on the enjoyment of our cars.

Nice job on the pics!

matt

FM DP, FM MBC, FM Intake (stock DV, oopsy)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: