Mazda-speed.com
October 18, 2021, 11:45:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O2 sensor modifier: defective  (Read 10137 times)
moonrider_99
Second Gear

« on: March 05, 2016, 03:16:15 AM »

Hello,

got the 02 sensor modifier as a xmas gift, finally had the miata out to a reputable shop today and had it installed since I don't like electrical connections/ECU tampering that much. Connections were done as per instructions, checked by 2 mechanics and myself, vacuum line + T into the recommended spot on the MSM... Result? Car ran very poorly, could barely accelerate under WOT. Yes, we made sure the vacuum line was going into the right ending on the module...

Shop called flyin miata, we checked the O2 sensor V with a OBD2 toolscan and did not observe the desired voltage changes, I'm gonna have to call flyin miata on monday and see if I can get another one sent to me. I'm pretty frustrated as I was really not expecting all these issues, I assumed there's some QC done before parts are sent out, this one looks dead.

How often do these fail?

2012 Mazdaspeed3
2004 MSM
I'm a Turbo addict, I know.
toy 4 every season
Back in the saddle again
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »

Have you tried just using 10psi of shop air and seeing if it the does the voltage clamp? That would tell you if you have a boost signal problem. You'd have to block off that teed vacuum line or even better is remove it and test for ohms using a multimeter and shop air. Its not common for them to fail but it does seem to help some cars better than others...for whatever reason. If you have pictures of where it's teed off of on the intake and the electrical connections, that may help.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:24:34 AM by toy 4 every season » Logged

Spring & Fall: 05 Mazdaspeed Miata (Lava) #540 of 1428 - TurboXS MBC, FM Intake & TB, GFB recir BOV, Rear Poly Bushings, Voodoo Magnum Shift Knob, Autometer Boost Gauge, AuxMod, eBay Catless DP, eBay intercooler, Real OPG & Linear Temp Mod, Mishimoto Radiator, FM Stage 1 Fan kit, Alutec Rear Strut Tower Brace, FM O2 Modifier, FM Stage 1 clutch w/ 10.3lbs flywheel, FM Frame Rails, LRB splash guard,  Custom LED 3rd brake light, Optima red top battery
Winter: 08 Jeep Liberty (Kill Wagon) Euro mod blackouted tail lights, Jk winch bumper on custom mounts, 3.5" OME lift, Treadwright Guard Dog tires, Curt hitch, K&N filter, Optima red top battery, factory fogs added & custom fender mounted Hella 500 spot lights.
Summer: 05 Kawasaki ZX6-R (Blue Streak) Yoshimura Rs5 carbon fiber slip on, carbon fiber body panels, HIDs, stainless steel brake lines.
For Fun: 02 Suzuki Quad King 300 4x4 w/ plow, K&N filter, dynojet jet kit, utility lights, 2000lb winch on custom brackets
In the works: 1979 Bradley GTII kit car and a Kawasaki B8 motorcycle
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »

I've not heard of one that failed.  Some cars like them better than others but none should become undrivable because of it.  I'm pretty sure your most likely to find something wrong with the install.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
moonrider_99
Second Gear

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »

Can someone please show me how the vacuum line is connected in the engine. Electrical connections are definitely okay

2012 Mazdaspeed3
2004 MSM
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »

We've gone through this many times here.

The hard tube is because it's feeding my boost gauge.  I tee'd it under the dash for the O2 mod.

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Bassparrott
Second Gear

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »

Did you connect anything to the "low" port? That port should not have anything connected to it.

2004 VR MSM - FM Full Intake, FMIC, FM Downpipe and Exhaust, FM O2 Mod., Koyo radiator, GarageStar Door Bushings, Suzuki cowl washer bottle
moonrider_99
Second Gear

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:22:12 AM »

It's on the "HIGH" port.

So I was trying to figure this out today. The port on top of the plenum goes to my FORGE BPV (where SMR has his T) and when the shop connected the O2 modifier line there, it was causing the car to run really bad. See the short line in the back with this white/green directional pill? I swapped the O2 modifier line there and now it's running better. Frankly, I can't tell if the mod is working but the car is driveable. I have signal on both my O2 sensors up to 1V based on OBD2 bluetooth reader/torque pro app. Is there a way to tell if it's working?

Thank you for your help.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:49:05 AM by moonrider_99 » Logged

2012 Mazdaspeed3
2004 MSM
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 02:06:21 AM »

The line I'm tee'd into is the BOV line and is the right one to use.

The "green pill' is a check valve and is not a good line to use.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
moonrider_99
Second Gear

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »

RED Circle is where the O2 modifier line was and the car ran terribly.

Green Circle is where I put it now.

Blue Circle is the boost gauge, installed by previous owner. Always been there since purchase.

So what I don't understand is:

1. The Red circle is where SMR has his, but I get poor results. This line is running back to my BPV, I don't see how it can be a good source of boost signal?

2. When you do a T connection, does it matter what goes on what end? Meaning horizontal part of the T vs the vertical ending? If you tap into a line, should the new connection be always at the vertical bottom of the T and have the original air flow going through the horizontal part?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:47:00 AM by moonrider_99 » Logged

2012 Mazdaspeed3
2004 MSM
Tickittyboo
Fourth Gear

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »

I used that same line that SMR suggested when I ha the O2 modifier installed. Worked fine. Are you positive it's wired in properly? I wired mine in under the hood directly to the front o2 sensor harness as suggested on this forum. Lots more space to work with which makes the task much easier.

2004 Velocity Red MSM with Flyin' Miata's Big Enchilada tuned by Ken Hill, V-Maxx Extreme adjustable coilovers, FM front sway bar, 949 Racing End Links, Boss Frog Double Hoop Roll bar, Tr Motorsports c3m 15x9 wheels with 225 45 15 Hankook Rs3's and carbotech ax6 brake pads all around.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

The red circle is NOT where SMR has his.  Your on the wrong hose on the wrong side of the check valve and it won't work right there.  Mine is in the line at the top of the manifold that feeds to the BOV.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »

I still think it's wired wrong.  But fix the vacuum line first and verify it's hooked to the high side and then see what happens.

My guess is the wrong wire on the ECU was used.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Bassparrott
Second Gear

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »

Man I wish I had seen Maduh's wiring method before installing my O2 mod. That was by far the hardest part of installing the full FM intake. I don't mind wiring, but splicing the ecu wires under the dash is too too tight for my liking!

2004 VR MSM - FM Full Intake, FMIC, FM Downpipe and Exhaust, FM O2 Mod., Koyo radiator, GarageStar Door Bushings, Suzuki cowl washer bottle
moonrider_99
Second Gear

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »

The red circle is NOT where SMR has his.  Your on the wrong hose on the wrong side of the check valve and it won't work right there.  Mine is in the line at the top of the manifold that feeds to the BOV.

I double checked and that's the one (red circle), my picture is from a different angle. The one on top going back to the BPV next to the strut bar. You have your T in there with a white vacuum line. That's where it made the car drive poorly.

I still think it's wired wrong.  But fix the vacuum line first and verify it's hooked to the high side and then see what happens.

My guess is the wrong wire on the ECU was used.

I removed the wire plugs from the ECU, carefully examined the connection and wire: color + location is matching. I'm not sure what vacuum line you are suggesting to fix? The famous BPV line? The car is running well if I leave it alone and boosting to almost 10 PSI.

How can I tell if the module is working? Both O2 sensors are giving me good voltage readouts.

Also, for a T connection, does it matter what goes on what end? Meaning horizontal part of the T vs the vertical ending? If you tap into a line, should the new connection be always at the vertical bottom of the T and have the original air flow going through the horizontal part?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:07:48 PM by moonrider_99 » Logged

2012 Mazdaspeed3
2004 MSM
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »

Look carefully at my picture and then look at yours.  You are not in the same line I am.  The line I use will work properly and if it doesn't something else is wrong not the spot the valve is connected to for the boost signal.

A tee is the same no matter which thing you connect to which leg of the tee.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: