Mazda-speed.com
January 20, 2022, 01:37:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FantaticMaxx's 04 VR  (Read 43347 times)
JCALD
Third Gear

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2016, 12:58:24 AM »

The nose is a real problem.  I had my 95 hardtop carbon wrapped and it came out nice.

Begi Reflash, LE without FM intercooler, Harddog Sport Roll Bar, Seat Lowering Rails, Hard Top w/Carbon Wrap, PLX multi gauge in Rear View Mirror, 3.63 gears
Fantasticmaxx
Second Gear

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »

Yea, I thought about carbon wrapping my side mirrors as well. but I'd like the nose to match.... ha 

04 VR: Ebay DP, Joes Intake with MAF Relocation, FM VMaxx Classics, Konig Wideopen
sfcarbone
Third Gear

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2016, 06:16:22 AM »

Bumpers and mirrors are harder to paint than hardtops and the rest of the car.  I know someone is going to point out that "modern" paints don't need to have an additive to make them flexible than the older paints do, but if you layer on multiple coats on a bumper or mirrors, the paint is going to crack in a few years time.  There is simply more prep work with bumpers and mirrors than most other body panels to achieve the same result.
TheBigChill
Fifth Gear

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2016, 01:27:48 PM »

Bumpers and mirrors are harder to paint than hardtops and the rest of the car.  I know someone is going to point out that "modern" paints don't need to have an additive to make them flexible than the older paints do, but if you layer on multiple coats on a bumper or mirrors, the paint is going to crack in a few years time.  There is simply more prep work with bumpers and mirrors than most other body panels to achieve the same result.

Not only that, but I bet many hardtop owners aren't getting their tops blended into the body, which makes things less expensive.
Fantasticmaxx
Second Gear

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2016, 05:04:11 PM »

Big chill, thats the problem, the shops said it'd simply be a respray of the bumper and mirror, and they would 'eyeball' to make sure it matches the rest of the car, but they wouldnt blend it.  Sad

04 VR: Ebay DP, Joes Intake with MAF Relocation, FM VMaxx Classics, Konig Wideopen
Fantasticmaxx
Second Gear

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »

So I took a risk, since the consequences would still be a respray of the bumper and mirror, and attempted a diy fix. Now, i know im not a body guy, I found that out with my first car, but is seems acceptable from a distance, and it has stopped the spread of the peeling. Definitely not perfect, but its now livable and I can use my money on more important things, like rent and food so I stay alive.  thumup

What i did was peel away all the clear coat that was no longer attached to the base coat, sand the edges with 1000 grit sand paper to blend it, then WIPED a clear coat on it. I had the clear coat from home depot waiting on my headlight restoration (tomorrow) and thought, what the hell. I'll post pictures up tomorrow along with progress of my headlight restoration

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2016, 02:09:23 AM »

Very interested to see how this works for you. I have peeling clear on the rear spoiler, hood, both mirrors, windshield frame, and trunk.

2005 Lava Orange MSM #394
FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
Fantasticmaxx
Second Gear

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2016, 02:12:28 PM »

Sorry for not updating, I got it done and it looks good from afar, but you can tell a repair was made if you look close. Albeit, looks wayyyy better than having a peeling clear, and it has stopped the progression of it as well.

Being a senior with only three weeks left in school, I have been drowning in papers and my capstone project, as well as still looking for a job.  sad1

I will post updates soon, probably on sunday.

PS: anyone want the resume of a soon graduating ME student with a 3.68, with no 'real world' experience?  laugh

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

Re:
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2016, 06:23:13 AM »

Did you ever find me on LinkedIn? Seriously do it. Most of my connections are on the western half of the US but if you aren't opposed to moving then i might be able to help. Search  humming aero, and my name is Robert. I took a tour of aerojet rocketdyne this week as part of a conference I attended and they said they are hiring engineers as fast as they can in both California and Missouri if I recall correctly. That probably signals that Lockheed and Northrop Grumman would be hiring too. You could also look at GE power and water in South Carolina. Turbines bigger than houses.

If you genuinely do have trouble finding a job I found the best thing was a design portfolio to be able to show pictures of designs and samples of analysis at interviews and career fairs. I nearly always got 2-3 interviews from the career fair once I made a physical portfolio I could show.

FM Intake Kit, FMIC, HKS SSQV VTA BOV(ABC 123 R2D2), Humming Aero Pedals, Speedhut boost gauge, Humming Aero front Tow Hook, Hard Dog HCM2SD, Koyo Radiator, Spal Fans in custom shroud, Joeereid intake heat shield, Humming Aero Hood Vent, ebay catless DP.
Fantasticmaxx
Second Gear

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2016, 04:39:40 AM »

I had an interview with GE power generation in clearwater, fl, which was cool since they flew me over there, but didnt land the job. I was up against people from Clemson and MIT, despite the fact that me and this girl interviewee won the little team building exercise, and showed them that we both worked together, and thought outside the box. she didnt get the job either. sad1

Ive applied at lockheed many many times, without even getting a call back. A local company that does NDT said they'd be hiring entry level in August, with interviews starting in July, which I'm ok with. It would be my first summer to myself since high school.

Im not opposed to moving, especially to california! The only thing is that my fiance might start school in August if she gets into the nursing program, and then I'd have to stay here to watch and pay for our house... if she doesnt get in, then we can move together and she can apply at a local school where ever we end up while working as a CNA to gain residency, and my brothers can handle selling the house.

I intend on getting my linkedin updated and going on a serious job search once school let out, since my capstone project is really in high gear right now. I did find you on there, my first name is Farhad, though I go by Max. I was at a research conference in NC last week hoping there would be employers there , but there were only schools looking for people to get into their grad school programs, one guy trying to get me to go to University of Alabama hunstville for their aerospace masters program. Might do that if my job search doesnt go well within the next month or so...

humming
Fifth Gear

enginerd

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2016, 06:41:15 AM »

Honestly experience >grades unless it's Boeing Lockheed etc. I had a 3.0  and never had issues getting interviews because of my 3 year internship with the same company. My suggestion:document the Crap out of your capstone, and then take it with you everywhere.

I also suggest knocking on doors at small engineering companies. You never know what you might find. Small companies are awesome in my opinion.

SilverMiataRacer
Fifth Gear

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »

Guys, move to a new thread in Yack about this.  Not exactly thread/section related.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Fantasticmaxx
Second Gear

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »

Sorry about that SMR...

On topic:

Dont ask how it happened, but I kept my hardtop in our home gym since we only have a one car garage with a car in it, and a little accident happened, and a 45lb bar went thru the back glass. A part of the bar, I suspect, hit the top of the roof as well, making what appears to simply be a large scratch. However, looking at the top from 'inside', it appears to have cracked through, by just a little bit.

My question lies here: will a little bit of fiberglass resin fill the crack enough for me to sand it back down, and repaint the top? I know this is a lot to ask with no pictures, but I will post some pictures up tonight.

Also, with a fresh respray, probably flat or gloss black, and no rear window, how much would it be worth to sell? Looking at getting another DD, so the miata would become a garage queen, and would no longer need the top anyways. Would it be worth it to install a lexan rear window from TCM, and then sell it? I had no luck sourcing an oem glass locally, and dont want to shell out dealership money...

Pics will be up later today.

PS: will probably wax the miata this sunday, as a little stress reliever. pics will be up of that when it happens as well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:46:30 PM by Fantasticmaxx » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: