Mazda-speed.com
December 04, 2021, 02:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NJMP Lightning On-Board 330whp Miata  (Read 5286 times)
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« on: April 28, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »

So this was my second track day ever, and the first one on this track. Last time I had an instructor, this time I did not, so I was learning the lines from youtube, other drivers, as well as from what my coach had taught me the last time around. My friend had timed my best lap at 1:22, but when I got home, I found this lap at 1:19 which made me really really happy because my goal was to break into teens but I didn't think I'd do it right away. Here is that lap, you can see the speedo touching 140mph as I come past the starting line and tower.

Car is definitely a handful, but the Maxis RC-1 tires are capable of more than I am and can still go faster. One hard part is steering when your legs are in the way, I really need a lower seat  Grin

https://youtu.be/vVmzTyP8T4c

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
Mazdaspeed003
Fourth Gear

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:27:19 PM »

looks like it was a cold/rainy day, glad your tires stayed warm!

nice and flat through the corners.

i cant wait for Streets of Willow May 28th for me!
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »

looks like it was a cold/rainy day, glad your tires stayed warm!

nice and flat through the corners.

i cant wait for Streets of Willow May 28th for me!
About 65* all day no rain luckily

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »

How did the brakes work?

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 12:47:54 PM »

How did the brakes work?
Really good but I realized towards the end of my day that I could press them a lot harder than I was all day. Just being used to the HPS pads, I would get on these and say "hey thats stopping in a hurry". It's when I was chasing a Carrera 4 down the long straight and suddenly we were both on my brakes and I was quickly getting closer, I squeezed them more and they bit more. I feel like the pedal feel is firm, but then gets to a point where it's almost stiff and you have to really push hard. I do have other issues like a lack of a heat-shield around the turbo which is cooking everything including the brake lines (which are sleeved) and reservoir, brake booster, everything. I'm skipping the May event to get everything sorted before I head to Pocono in June. I also still need to install those brake ducts. Did you cut your old backers off, or removed the hubs? I forget

millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »

Good deal and you'll get used to the brakes.  At least you didn't have an issue of them not working.   Shocked 

I pulled the hubs to install the backing plates for the brake ducts. 

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
moonrider_99
Second Gear

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »

So this was my second track day ever, and the first one on this track. Last time I had an instructor, this time I did not, so I was learning the lines from youtube, other drivers, as well as from what my coach had taught me the last time around. My friend had timed my best lap at 1:22, but when I got home, I found this lap at 1:19 which made me really really happy because my goal was to break into teens but I didn't think I'd do it right away. Here is that lap, you can see the speedo touching 140mph as I come past the starting line and tower.

Car is definitely a handful, but the Maxis RC-1 tires are capable of more than I am and can still go faster. One hard part is steering when your legs are in the way, I really need a lower seat  Grin

very nice driving, I hope to have this much power one day. ;-)

What are the rules for track days NJMP? Roll bar, broom test needed? I would like to start doing track days as well.

2012 Mazdaspeed3
2004 MSM
I'm a Turbo addict, I know.
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »

very nice driving, I hope to have this much power one day. ;-)

What are the rules for track days NJMP? Roll bar, broom test needed? I would like to start doing track days as well.
Honestly, I don't have padding or the 2" of clearance but they still let me on. When my taller friend with a larger helmet jumped in as a passenger they didn't let him go with me because the top of his helmet was over both the windshield and the roller. Now that I have a hardtop, he'll have to scooch down, or we'll trade helmets for the run.

Rules are typically similar, but check with whatever group you plan on running with. You local to NJMP?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: