Mazda-speed.com
September 30, 2020, 04:56:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MSM Ignition. Coil pack, spark plugs, gap.... part numbers?  (Read 2626 times)
MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:22 AM »

I am ordering the stock parts but no dealer has a clue on what an MSM is....

Does anyone have part numbers for these parts? I'm going back to the stock coil packs and plugs. I knew I should have just ordered the MSM Big spark kit from Flyinmiata, it seems like a bargain compared to how much I've spent on this already.  angry9

I need the part numbers to the stock:

• Coil packs - are the 2 on top of the valve cover different from one another? Or, are they the same part number?
  • Spark Plugs - I know they are around $25ea, but my dealer has a "cold type" and a "hot type" huh?
  • What gap do these Spark Plugs get set at?
  • I will be going with the Magnecor wires, I don't need the OEM part numbers for this.

I will install this and post pics and updates here, I know a lot of people INCLUDING DEALERS are extremely confused so this will be helpful to the community I am guessing....

#1923 of the '04s is under construction at:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24159.0.html
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:58:28 AM »

You need a new dealer

According to the Mazda Parts CD

BP6D-18-100A is a coil assmy and you need 2

You said no wires

BP8k-18-110 are the OEM plugs and you need 4 and the gap is .028" - .032" and they should be pregapped to that and just need to be verified to be correct.

The cold plugs would be used for a modified engine with higher boost.

I don't understand any of the confusion

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
MSMzer04
Mazdspeed Miata 2004
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »

The confusion is that Jim Ellis Mazda doesn't specify the correct spark plugs for our car in their wiring diagram.

When I visited the nearest dealer, the parts department first said I need 4 Ig Coils which I know is totally off. They also said I needed spring washers which I don't because I'm ordering Magnecor wires. I skipped that dealer and went to the next.

The part number this new dealer in West LA has, is: BP6D-18-100A-9U for the ignition coils. They are the ones asking if I want hot spark plugs or cold, I said "gimme the stock part" they say "stock part has two types" I figured, quit messing with these guys and just ask the forum.

I placed the order for that stuff and got the "hot" type spark plugs since the only mods to my car are the Flyin Miata LE kit. All together it comes out to ~$600... Add the FAB9 COP kit that I purchased a year or so ago and this is wayyyy above the FM Big Spark kit. I wish I would have gone that route instead, seems like a very fair price to me now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:10:32 PM by MSMzer04 » Logged

#1923 of the '04s is under construction at:
http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24159.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: