Mazda-speed.com
July 20, 2019, 08:29:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving On; Beyond MSM  (Read 18716 times)
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 05:46:22 PM »

I have read that many SM drivers are able to turn some really fast lap times IN SPITE of the suspension, not because of it.  Sounds like the spring set-up is one of the reasons people think that the SM suspension is not the optimum set-up.  There are obviously better set-ups available on the market.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I finally have contact. This well-recommended Euro tuner mechanic has returned from vacay. Amidst Audi A8s sittin' on frame rails, Porsche 928s, and other oddities, I am gonna wedge in the MSM Monday morning.
So we'll get 'er up, ideally he'll know what to check on, after an epic curb thonk, and it'll be fixable.
Moss Miata has a fine looking set of Tein coilovers, and I notice Flyin' Miata has a suspension kit or three. Heck, even the 4H Club lemonade stand has Miata bits. Any particular horror stories or suggestions in this realm would be appreciated, before I pull the trigger in ordering a suspension kit online. (Question- Would ordering a complete coilover kit bolt in and around existing arms/anti roll bars and such?) Just seeking to prepare myself for another bump on what this bill should run.
Let's say 5 hrs labor, $500
Shipped coilovers -     1000
New 15" wheels           500?
Tires.                             500:
$2500 total... this is a cautiously optimistic guess, assumes only a strut or two got blown. No idea what labor is, but it's hot and that's a fair bit of futzing around.
So $2500 for starters, to get her huggin' the road like a real demon. Having that all done, I gotta go lil' enchilda type upgrade- Another $1500? Plus a t-belt (water pump?) too... tax n' labor, $1000.
So $2500 for wheels/tires/suspension, $2500ish for lil' ench type upgrades and a t-belt. So $5k really ought sort this puppy out, and I'd have a brand-newish, mean mudda MSM right? I hope, right! Just hoping for some further fine advice before I click any 'order' buttons. Thanks gents!

'04 Titanium, #2,641 - Bone stock; Big Pimpin'.
TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »

Status Update - Joyous news all around. Frank got 'er up, reckons a coilover job will sort her out.
While up, he suggested sway bar end links too. Probably $500 or 6, to mount 4 new tires, wheels,
and the suspension replacement. Those green TEIN coilovers look nice, on MossMiata.com
And for wheels, http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?bp=&yr=2004&wd=16&rw=&vid=008075
I think I'm gonna roll on 16s, a little more wall to it, still fills up the wheel wells.
They weigh 14.9 lbs, not too shabby right?
Have a great Labor day gents!

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2016, 03:46:28 PM »

If you have looked at available tires for 16's, then you should be good to go. If you haven't, you might take a look. Lots more 15s out there.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »

Well the buttons are clicked, and now the anxious waiting begins.
From MossMiata.com, I got-
   - 4 new sway bar end links (suggested by the mechanic when he looked at my car)
   - Street Advance Coilover Kit by Tein
Total $761
I went to Tire Rack for the wheels/tires, and they had a nice set in stock.
    -New Wheels - TR Motorsport C1 16x7s. 15lbs seemed pretty light for the price,   
   I really like the finish, and they sorta look like those bad-a$$ 6UL wheels
 -Tires - I stuck with what I had before - BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2s.
Total $857.
   Should be about a week or so for things to arrive. Very excited for the tranformation.
Thanks for input from yinz, and most definitely to Sir Jeans - the ride in his slammed screamer
sure kept me in the MSM fold.

TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »

Wheels are in, and awaiting the coilover kit/links.
Does the installation of an aftermarket coilover kit work alright with the existing MazdaSpeed version's anti-roll bars?
I'm a total newbie to this, but a greatly hope all this bolts in and around the fine pieces already added to our car.

TheBigChill
Fifth Gear

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »

Does the installation of an aftermarket coilover kit work alright with the existing MazdaSpeed version's anti-roll bars?

Yes.  Though, how you choose to adjust your dampers can potentially change what size bars you may want to use moving forward.  Generally speaking though, just run it.
thejeans
Third Gear

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »

youll be fine with the stock bars for road use. you rode in my car and i still have both stock bars.

glad to hear its getting all fixed up. we'll have to meet up once its back together
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »

I disagree about shocks - they should not be allowed to control the final attitude of the car in a corner, only how it responds initially. Any shock set so stiff that it limits the degree of roll is so stiff that it has traded away grip for a "feel". IMHO, so much of our perception about how a car should handle is based on what we see in the top professional roadracing series, but a racing car's attitude for the last 30 years has had more to do with making the aero derived downforce consistent than anything else.

Having written that, if shocks are all you have to play with, go for it.

The attribute that you need to pay attention to is spring rate. As long as the ratio of front to rear spring stays fairly constant, stock bars will work well.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:58:46 PM by '95MSM » Logged

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
msmny
Fourth Gear

DD Toy :D

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 02:07:11 PM »

Cool interesting thread, looking forward for more info

2004 MSMX-5 #437/4000: Few mods, more to come Cheesy
"It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it!"
TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2016, 02:30:10 PM »

Joy is surely building! I found the following youtube review of an NB. This is the 1st image I've seen on how mine will sit, same wheels/tires and lowered. Not sure if there's any offset thing going on though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXQ8s8xhz4

It goes in the shop Friday, and hopefully I'll have some time next week with the guy to adjust the settings using his lift. I figure set it halfway down heightwise and go from there. Pretty sure I won't need a lift to adjust the damper firmness. Tein knobs are on the bottom apparently.

I didn't watch much of the video, just froze on the frames of stance. She looks so nasty, crouched on those fat tires.

Joy further fumes as it seems Lil' Enchiladas are in stock a Flyin' Miata! It sure looks to be a fun fall if all goes to plan.

TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »

PS- I just emailed sales@flyin'miata about ordering the little enchilada along with a timing belt/water pump kit. If anyone in earshot works there and wants dibs on the sale, please fire me a message at EGold82@hotmail.com

m3fan4ever
Third Gear

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »

I've got the Tein SA coilovers installed on my car. Two things on install:

The height setting they recommend in the install instructions made me rub a lot so be prepared to adjust them quite a bit to get them where you want them. I'm set up at about 12.5" front and 13" rear (wheel center to fender. Can't remember my pinch weld heights off the top of my head) and I still rub the front slightly over big bumps in turns. I am on 205/50r15 tires so YMMV.

The damping adjusters are on the tops of the shocks. You can get to the fronts and the passenger rear easily but I had to bend part of the plate that blocks off the trunk area to get to the driver side rear shock without needing tools every time. I think I'm set at 6 or 8 clicks from full stiff if I remember right and it is good enough for my daily driver.

Also, I've been thinking about getting 9kg/mm springs for the front to balance the suspension better. I am pretty happy with the setup now compared to my 100k mile stock setup, but I got a really good deal on the coilovers. I'm not sure I'd be as pleased if I had paid full price.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:57:56 PM by m3fan4ever » Logged

2004 MSM Ti GT #1796 - Purchased 12/13
Flyin' Miata "Little Enchilada"; Flyin' Miata "Happy Meal" (10.3 lb flywheel); 15x7 Advanti Storm S1, Dunlop Direzza DZ102; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; Hawk HPS Brake Pads; Mazda Competition Motor Mounts; MiataRoadster Tall Angled Short Shifter Kit, VMS Racing Type-R Shift Knob; KOYO Hyper-V 36mm Radiator; Autometer Boost Gauge, Linear Water Temp Gauge Mod, Oil Pressure Light Mod; Xentec HID Conversion - 6000K 55W; Plastidipped Badges
TurboToy
Fourth Gear

Ti Turbo Toy

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »

Yikes - thanks for that heads up m3fan. I was hoping going to 16"s would avoid rubbing unless I really slammed it down. But I'll remember your measurements and hope my situation works out without rubbing.
Nice to hear you got a good deal. I was in a bit of a bind, and not really looking to score the best deal, buying randomly from some supplier on the net. I probably paid a bit more buying straight from MossMiata's catalogue, but I wasn't looking too far to seek the best price.

Bummer about the adjustments, as I thought dampers had knobs on the bottom. Perhaps I was looking at a different set up. Glad to hear the Teins work well for you overall.

Just to confirm what I'm *pretty sure* think I know-  to adjust the height, you do need to lift the car, remove wheels, and spin those rings around, correct? (I just hope to have time at the shop to sort all this out, as the old lady warden at my condo will write me up if I so much as windex a window on the property, let alone take wheels off and so forth)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:23:17 PM by TurboToy » Logged

rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »

Bummer about the adjustments, as I thought dampers had knobs on the bottom. Perhaps I was looking at a different set up.

Many do (Tokico, VMaxx).  But altering the trunk panel to get access to a top adjuster is not difficult.  It can be bent nicely so it won't slit your wrist, and the trunk liner can be stuck to it to look nice.  As for the passenger side, It's just a matter of cutting a small hole in the part of the plastic liner that wraps down over the damper.  The rest of the carpet covers that corner so it can't be seen.

I prefer top adjusters to rolling around on the ground looking for a knob.  YMMV.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: