Mazda-speed.com
November 20, 2017, 12:00:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About to pull head: questions.  (Read 5319 times)
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »

The bolts are isolated from any oil or water passages. Clean the threads well and assemble more or less dry.

If you use a thread lube, you should torque to a higher target.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
Ex36
Third Gear

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 12:10:41 PM »

Okay, no lube on head bolts.

How resilient are the camshaft oil seals?  I oiled a new one up last night and was sliding it on by hand.  The inner, flexible surface next the shaft inverted and turned inside out over a short portion of its circumference.  I used a rounded flat bladed screwdriver (created with a grinder for another application) to push it back into place and it seemed to seat fine using a 36mm socket to whack it into place.  But I'd tear it out and replace it now if you think it's a problem rather than dig it out later.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 07:14:06 AM »

If it didn't tear or 'kink' I suspect it will be fine.

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
dbrig350
Second Gear

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »

I have to disagree with 95MSM, every torque spec I'm aware of assumes clean threads and a drop of oil or other specified lube on the threads of the bolt and under the head of the nut/bolt.  With thread lube you will have less friction so it would be less torque lubed vs. dry.

Dave

Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing.  - Kimi Raikkonen

2004 VR#2482 of 4000
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »

Thanks for catching my error. Lower is correct - I didn't go back to my notes when I answered.  Cry

3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

Ex36
Third Gear

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »

Okay, so I should put a little oil on the threads and then torque to 58 ft.-lbs. in a couple increments, following the correct pattern?

I got the head gasket on, although the head is just sitting in place with two bolts hand tight to keep it from walking.  One question: I compared the new and old head gaskets and they're the same pattern and oriented the same, so I'm confident they're correct.  Why is is that some of the holes in the block, particularly on the front passenger side, get covered up by the gasket?
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 03:19:20 PM »

That's the change of water flow that has been discussed in using the Reroute kit with the standard MSM head and gasket.  You might be closing up holes in the block because the head doesn't actually have those passages in it.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Ex36
Third Gear

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »

Looking at pics of my head and the block, there are many passages/holes that both have in common that aren't allowed to communicate because of the head gasket, which has many fewer holes in it.

I looked at the Jim Ellis website to look up the Mazda part number for head gaskets for an '05 with turbo and without, as well as '99.  All have the same part number, so it looks like there's a single gasket for all those engines?  I expected something different between the '05 non-turbo and the '99, but no.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »

Manufacturers will go back and update replacement part part numbers on prior model years when they develop an improved part. Of course they might also do that if the new part just works "okay" on prior models just to save money.

I think it was Navistar (class 8 trucks) that put the annual cost of maintaining an sku (stock keeping unit) at over $15,000 annually, and that was years ago on presumably a smaller parts and service system than Mazda.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: