Mazda-speed.com
November 20, 2017, 12:09:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P2177/P2187 Codes  (Read 1418 times)
pentup
First Gear

« on: August 25, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »

Hey Guys and Gals,

I bought a bone stock 04 red MSM in mid-April and I've been thrilled to death with it.  In the last month I noticed some intermittent hesitation at lower speeds (less than 60 MPH) as well as long crank times before it will start. After a bit of that it finally threw a code, P2177 and P2178.  Lean off idle and lean on idle. My mechanic has been all over the engine with carb cleaner to find a vacuum leak. Nothing found.  He's also replaced the oxygen sensor and purge valve with Mazda branded parts.  

Pictures of codes and freeze frame data. https://goo.gl/photos/PriP5RKuitAiPdw59

Steps to recreate the problem.

1) Start the car.  It could take 4-10 seconds of cranking to fire up.
1a) If the car was cold it will run fine.
1b) If the car was still hot it will have a rough idle for up to a minute or so.
2) Drive around, you may or may not get the hesitation. If you do and you get on and off the accelerator several times it will come back to life and drive normally.
3) Park the car and turn off the engine.
3a) If you start it again immediately you will get long crank times.
3b) If you wait 15 minutes or so and start it again you will get the rough idle.

I went to get an oil change today and as you might imagine,  they do other services and he suggested a "smoke test" to find vacuum leaks. They hook up a machine and blow smoke through the system and see where it comes out. $30.  I've never heard of this.  Thoughts?

I'm almost $800 into this with a local mechanic and no resolution yet. I've talked to another mechanic with a "Mazda guy" and I may let him have a look. Any advice is welcomed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:00:13 PM by pentup » Logged
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »

A smoke test, done correctly, is the best way to find vacuum leaks.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
pentup
First Gear

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »

Thanks Larry.  Smiley
pentup
First Gear

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »

I thought I'd close up this post with a resolution! My problem was fuel pump related. I knew it had been replaced but I decided to check it anyway. When I pulled it out I noticed that it was not attached to the 4" rubber fuel line very well. It was not lined up with the outlet on the pump and was sort of jammed in at an angle. I wish I had taken a picture. Anyway, I removed the rubber line and replaced it since it had a kink at the end now and snugged up the zip tie that holds the pump in place. Now it runs perfectly. Not a single hiccup in 300 miles.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »

Good catch, glad you got it fixed.  That is so stupid that someone created a problem like that.  Do you know who replaced the pump and when??  Was it an aftermarket pump that had to have the pump assembly modified??

Larry

Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
pentup
First Gear

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »

I'm in Tulsa and I bought the car in Springfield, MO.  It was done by a local mechanic there before I bought it.  I don't know enough to answer your other questions. I sure wish I had taken a picture.
Jake
First Gear

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

Nice catch!  This is one of the key reasons I prefer low-mileage unmodified cars and do all my own work as much as possible.  Yes, I'll probably end up with most of the same mods everyone else adds to their MSM, but at least when I do it I know it's done correctly.  Usually  Cheesy

Just sad when you can't trust the 'professionals' to do the job right, the first time, when you pay your hard-earned money.  If you had not thought to check the pump this could have become a very expensive diagnostic trail.

2005 LO MSM #462
Ex's: 2001 BRG SE #2718, 2004 VR MSM, 1996 Brilliant Black, 1991 Crystal White
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:50 PM »

What kind of mileage?  I'm just wondering why the pump was changed.  The pumps in our car get a bad rap and get changed prematurely to solve a problem that is baffling the mechanics and they usually are wrong.  The dealers were all replacing fuel pumps under warranty to fix the Bog problem and we do know they were wrong.

Larry

– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: