Mazda-speed.com
May 22, 2019, 03:56:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New MSM coming to the forum  (Read 9087 times)
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« on: September 10, 2016, 03:24:47 AM »

One of our members has just acquired a 350whp Ti MSM. Really nice car overall, but SPECTACULAR worksmanship in everything related to the big FM turbo and other mods. I'll let the new owner tell the rest of the story, but I was very happy to meet Rick today.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:58:52 AM »

SMR covers all the new member stuff and he has to sift through hundreds of spambot 'members' for every one legitimate one.  I'm sure he will get the new guy approved quickly!

350whp requires a 3071 and some pretty macho boost.  My turbo bolts are running and hiding in fear!   laugh laugh

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:04:42 AM »

Not a new forum member, but a new car we haven't seen before joining the stable of an existing member.

A gentleman here in Spokane built the turbo car in question, then built an LS-x NB. He's keeping the LS-x. The worksmanship on both cars was top drawer. He is on a first name basis with almost everyone at FM.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:06:00 AM by '95MSM » Logged

3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

Bassparrott
Second Gear

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »

Hi Guys,
Here are a couple of pictures of my new toy! I currently have an 04 VR MSM that I have been slowing modifying. I guess I spend too much time on the FM site, because I kept looking at an 05 Ti MSM in the Cars for Sale section on their site. After a lot of thought on what I wanted to do to my car and some time researching parts/mods pricing I started to get seriously interested in the car. As Mark says it was built by a gentleman with a lot of experience who has built this car and a V8 Miata. FM knows him and the car well (FM built the engine - 351 rwhp/308 lbft torque). Mark was a big help and volunteered to check out the car for me (I am in FL and the car in is Spokane, WA). After his very positive report I flew out to look at the car and ended up striking a deal that was fair for both parties and I am now the proud owner. I drove the car up to Mark's on Friday and I am really pleased with it. It runs great, handles well and is easy to drive quickly, but man when it comes on boost look out!!! It really reminds me of the turbo hit from my old Porsche turbo! Too much fun! Now I just have to wait for car to get shipped to me in FL. First mod on my list will be a 3.63 gear, then maybe some 15" wheels and tires.  Grin

A BIG shout out to Mark (95MSM) for checking the car out for me! That helped me tremendously to make the decision. This forum is so great for new owners to get educated on the MSM. I have learned a ton from you guys and really appreciate everyone’s willingness to help and share their immense knowledge on the MSM! thumup

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:53:52 PM by Bassparrott » Logged

2004 VR MSM - FM Full Intake, FMIC, FM Downpipe and Exhaust, FM O2 Mod., Koyo radiator, GarageStar Door Bushings, Suzuki cowl washer bottle
ManiacLachy
First Gear

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »

That's hot! I think with some 15s and 3.63 rear-end and it'll be perfect.

Is this rocking an FM 2.0 Stroker kit? What's been done for cooling?

2004 Sunlight Silver SE (Australian MSM)
3" NitroDann Turboback exhuast, NitroDann Intake, NitroDann TBI Elbow, Turbosmart Kompact BOV. Flyin Miata oil cooler. Thompson Automotive oil filter relocation. Automotive+ Twin Hoop rollbar. Automotive+ stainless clutch line. 949 Xida Coilovers 550/350. 949 Racing Endlinks. 949 Racing stainless brake lines. Miata Roadster SSK. Replaced "bog" solenoid. Innovate LC-2 WBO2.
To be installed: MSPNP-Pro; Lotus Elise Seats on Flipside brackets
Next up: Injectors/BOOST; 15" wheels; a few other odds and ends
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »

Neat use of space for the wiper fluid.  Straighten the oil cap and it will be perfect!   laugh

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 11:42:39 PM »

Is this rocking an FM 2.0 Stroker kit?
I can answer the stroker question for Rick, as I talked to Tay about it.

Lengthen the stroke and you either have to shorten the rods or do some really creative things with the piston. FM squeezed what rod length they could into the package by moving the wrist pin higher on the piston. The oil control ring is unsupported on the front and back arcs of the piston as a result, and that has always bothered me if the engine is supposed to last longer than a few track seasons. I have not researched FM strokers to see if this concern has been validated, so don't take it as a "known" vulnerability, just a possible one. Tay agreed, but the main reason he did not want the stroker was the angles that the rods have to run at, and the resulting side forces on the pistons. Having this conversation with Tay confirmed, at least for me, that it wasn't just a pretty build, it was a very well thought out build.

Bassparrott
Second Gear

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:09:05 AM »

It has the FM Crossflow radiator and Spal fans. Living in FL I had some concerns about cooling, but the PO has had no issues.

I will straighten the Oil cap as soon as the car gets to Florida! My skills are mechanical skills are still a work in process, but I can handle that one!  Smiley

2004 VR MSM - FM Full Intake, FMIC, FM Downpipe and Exhaust, FM O2 Mod., Koyo radiator, GarageStar Door Bushings, Suzuki cowl washer bottle
twinturborx7
Third Gear

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 02:35:34 AM »

I offered the seller 18 k for that car,it is my dream msm.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 12:49:45 AM »

Ah - now I can put a forum name to the "low-ball clown" the seller mentioned.

mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »

I have always had concerns about the stroker design in the BP motor.  I just don't see the return on investment swapping out the entire rotating assembly including the crank to gain .2 liters of displacement when you can get almost he same displacement in the bore.  As Mark says, the piston design appears to be the biggest issue.  Sure, torque is nice, but so is 100,000 miles at .97 torque. 

twinturborx7
Third Gear

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

Clown? did the seller fix the original fender? It had some paintwork. i spoke to the seller and he said the paint work was not a perfect  match. C,mon man, 26 K for a miata !
Bassparrott
Second Gear

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »

The paint is actually good. A couple of minor issues, but nothing that can't be corrected pretty easily. Like I said we were able to come to a fair deal for a very clean, straight car that had all the mods I wanted done very well and I paid a lot less than the asking price.  Smiley

twinturborx7
Third Gear

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »

Congrats on your new car,and and getting it for the price you wanted.
Blerv
First Gear

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »

Hi Guys,
Here are a couple of pictures of my new toy! I currently have an 04 VR MSM that I have been slowing modifying. I guess I spend too much time on the FM site, because I kept looking at an 05 Ti MSM in the Cars for Sale section on their site. After a lot of thought on what I wanted to do to my car and some time researching parts/mods pricing I started to get seriously interested in the car. As Mark says it was built by a gentleman with a lot of experience who has built this car and a V8 Miata. FM knows him and the car well (FM built the engine - 351 rwhp/308 lbft torque). Mark was a big help and volunteered to check out the car for me (I am in FL and the car in is Spokane, WA). After his very positive report I flew out to look at the car and ended up striking a deal that was fair for both parties and I am now the proud owner. I drove the car up to Mark's on Friday and I am really pleased with it. It runs great, handles well and is easy to drive quickly, but man when it comes on boost look out!!! It really reminds me of the turbo hit from my old Porsche turbo! Too much fun! Now I just have to wait for car to get shipped to me in FL. First mod on my list will be a 3.63 gear, then maybe some 15" wheels and tires.  Grin

A BIG shout out to Mark (95MSM) for checking the car out for me! That helped me tremendously to make the decision. This forum is so great for new owners to get educated on the MSM. I have learned a ton from you guys and really appreciate everyone’s willingness to help and share their immense knowledge on the MSM! thumup

Congrats and welcome!  I'm a brand new member as well Smiley

One quick question...do you know what type of engine management and turbo kit the car uses?  If not using a standalone ECU, do you have any check engine lights?  Trying to figure out a smoggable (I'm in Seattle) solution myself.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: