Mazda-speed.com
March 18, 2019, 04:46:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New MSM coming to the forum  (Read 8304 times)
Bassparrott
Second Gear

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »

Welcome!  I have been on the forum for a bit, but this is a new car for me. The car has a Hydra ECU and the FM II Big Turbo (Garrett) GT3071R. The previous owner had everything all set up to swap back to the OEM ECU and injectors when needed for smog testing. Thankfully I won't have to worry about that! I know there are a lot of people on here that do have to pass smog testing and they can guide you better on how to deal with this issue when planning upgrades. The search feature is really good as well for getting specific info. There is a wealth of info there.

2004 VR MSM - FM Full Intake, FMIC, FM Downpipe and Exhaust, FM O2 Mod., Koyo radiator, GarageStar Door Bushings, Suzuki cowl washer bottle
Blerv
First Gear

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »

Ah slick, thanks for the info Smiley
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 04:57:43 AM »

The kit is from FM, ECU is a Hydra, it is not possible to pass smog in a WA emission county with a Hydra.

The guy that built the car did some very nice things with extra connectors and wiring harnesses to ease the conversion from 350whp Hyde beast to the able-to-pass-emission-testing sort of stock Jekyll.

If you are trying to squeeze more performance out of an MSM and pass emissions testing without touching the car, your only path is a BEGi reworked OEM ECU. Note that I am NOT recommending this route, just identifying it. Read about it extensively before pulling the trigger. There are a fair number of hurdles to making it work, then if you make a change to the car, many of those hurdles will have to be revisited.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
04TitaniumGrayPhilly
Forceful Driver
Fifth Gear

Soviet Stig

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »

Welcome to the boards, that's a sweet MSM you've got there. There's not many of us 300whp+ guys here, I'd be curious to see the parts list for what's in the build. If FM built it, I can say I'm already envious of the FM specific Wisecos (which I cheaped out on and just got regular 8.6:1 Wisecos without the longer skirts). If you're going to track it at all, I would HIGHLY suggest adding some heat sleeving to everything around the turbo, and expect to have some things go not as planned. My first outing I loosened my turbo studs and lost one within 5 laps and completely destroyed my Hawk brakes, second outing I melted my brake master cylinder brace and breater filter, and most recently I melted the sleeving around my throttle cable LOL. I'm also surprised they left the stock coolant routing on such a high power car, not that I'm questioning FM, but it makes me question the things I chose to do to my own car and whether they were really necessary.

There's certainly guys with more driving experience than me here, and many who have more mechanical knowledge, but if you have any questions about anything, can always shoot me a PM. I am also probably the biggest advocate against BEGi Reflashes and BEGi in general since that's how I ended up building my engine in the first place, you can probably figure out what happened. I'd be curious what you paid for the car if you want to PM me, I had mine listed at $20,000 and had a few bites, one guy seemed serious at $18,000 but I held back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:31:53 PM by 04TitaniumGrayPhilly » Logged

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373 - 328whp and 308wtq/ 2500lbs
ARTech, EFR6258, XIDA, Maxxis RC-1, 3.63 R&P
Blerv
First Gear

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 05:06:30 PM »

The kit is from FM, ECU is a Hydra, it is not possible to pass smog in a WA emission county with a Hydra.

The guy that built the car did some very nice things with extra connectors and wiring harnesses to ease the conversion from 350whp Hyde beast to the able-to-pass-emission-testing sort of stock Jekyll.

If you are trying to squeeze more performance out of an MSM and pass emissions testing without touching the car, your only path is a BEGi reworked OEM ECU. Note that I am NOT recommending this route, just identifying it. Read about it extensively before pulling the trigger. There are a fair number of hurdles to making it work, then if you make a change to the car, many of those hurdles will have to be revisited.

Thanks for the information Smiley

Yes some type of a parallel installed standalone with redundancies seems the best route.  At least just swapping injectors would save you half the time.
The BEGI thing is a bit off-putting.  Thanks for one more warning sticker.
rotorglow
Toyotae non carborundum.
Fifth Gear

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »

Yes some type of a parallel installed standalone with redundancies seems the best route.  At least just swapping injectors would save you half the time.
The BEGI thing is a bit off-putting.  Thanks for one more warning sticker.

Another option is to run a true standalone (Hydra, Megasquirt....) with the stock injectors.  The standalone still won't pass inspection anywhere, but since you wouldn't be changing injectors, "swapping" back and forth at inspection time only takes 5 minutes (max) of contortion under the steering column to move the harness over from one box to the other.  You could leave the MAF and stock air temp sensor in place too.

As far as power is concerned, you'd be injector-limited compared to a full setup, but the car would be MUCH faster than stock because it would finally be running right.  It's a great compromise if simplicity is the primary goal.

2004 VR Sport: FM Big Enchilada w/ Hydra 2.7 + DeatschWerks 700cc injectors + FM crossflow rad + 3.63 rear gears + ES poly diff bushings + comp motor mounts--Koni Sports + Ground Control 550/375 + Racing Beat 1.125" bar + blocks & bolts--Wilwood/AX6 brakes--15x8 6ULs + RE-71Rs--Speedhut + Clearwaters + Auxmod + other misc electrics
Tickittyboo
Fourth Gear

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 11:55:18 PM »

I just swapped my injectors back to stock last night. Took an hour.  It's really not a big deal.

2004 Velocity Red MSM with Flyin' Miata's Big Enchilada tuned by Ken Hill, V-Maxx Extreme adjustable coilovers, FM front sway bar, 949 Racing End Links, Boss Frog Double Hoop Roll bar, Tr Motorsports c3m 15x9 wheels with 225 45 15 Hankook Rs3's and carbotech ax6 brake pads all around.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 10:17:59 AM »

Piggybacks were big back when the only standalones were pricey and not easy to program.  Standalones are far superior and have pretty much made the piggybacks obsolete as you still have the programming/tuning issues with the piggy with less control and most times less results.  And if you think your installing a piggy and getting pass an emissions test without at least retuning it.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »

Not a new forum member, but a new car we haven't seen before joining the stable of an existing member.

A gentleman here in Spokane built the turbo car in question, then built an LS-x NB. He's keeping the LS-x. The worksmanship on both cars was top drawer. He is on a first name basis with almost everyone at FM.

I find it hard to believe that someone who had done this much modification to the car never became a member on these boards. If true its a shame. Sounds like the PO could have been a very useful source of information and knowledge.

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: