Mazda-speed.com
January 19, 2019, 11:25:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And so it begins....my quest for more HORSEPOWER!  (Read 3794 times)
Woody
Second Gear

'05 MSM - Black Mica

« on: September 21, 2016, 04:44:04 PM »

Just ordered Joe's Intake for my 05 MSM.  Should have it in a week or so.  Now for my questions:

Any of you running Joe's intake with stock ECU?  Did you upgrade injectors?  What other mods should I do first to go with this?  I eventually plan on intercooler, full exhaust (FM) and an ECU, but I don't want to loose the famous Miata reliability.

Car is used for spirited runs on the many miles of twisty 2 lanes here in the MO Ozarks and daily driving during the nicest weather months.

Suspension mods and wheels / tires to follow also.

I have reasonable mechanical skills and a Mechanical Engineering background, but no experience with ECU tuning.

'05 Mazdaspeed Miata - Mica Black - Purchased 26-Aug-05
St. Louis Area - Gateway Miata Club
No Mods Yet!  Still doing my homework!
Don't have my AARP card yet, but I'm eligible!  Still have the need for SPEED!
04msm
Second Gear

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »

Joe's intake I believe was intended for driviability, Power gain is a bonus.
Stock ecu can handle supra 305/315? injector and anything bigger will need hydra/ms with corresponding engine mods.
Cooling is somewhat of an issue, everyone probably will suggest ducting radiator shroud first to make the intercooler more effective.
Exhaust/downpipe will probably net about 15hp?
Check your exhaust manifold bolts as they back out over time.
I'd do ecu first though, hydra is amazing from my research on this forum or suspension/wheels. Check your intake box see if there's oil in there, and purchase FM check valve to remedy the problem.

2004 MSM Miva
Mods: 16X8 RPF1, Nitroous Boost Gauge, FM Check Valve.
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »

You will probably be fine with the OEM cooling system with spirited street driving.  It's the track where the overheating tends to become an issue.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
mr_hyde
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

Midlife Crisis on Wheels!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »

You are going down the rabbit hole!  Top-tip from a guy who has been there, done that: 
1.  Identify how you are planning to use the car.
2.  Identify your reasonable budget and power goals.
3.  Assess your local emissions requirements.
4.  Share all of the above and listen to the advice.   afro

2005 Black Mica #290 8/27/04 w/Factory Hard Top
BEGi Intake, FM Downpipe.  Nice and calm with an edge...

1990 Red - MSM Drivetrain, Adaptronic EMS, Xida 700/400, 15x9 6uls, Full Cage, SGDP w/80mm Corksport exhaust, ~260whp @ 15psi on Forged Rods.  bow2
Build Thread: http://www.mazda-speed.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24668.0.html

2000 BMW M5 - The Falcon - Daily Driver  reddevil

2003 E350 7.3 Powerstroke Ambulance for towing '90MSM to play dates.

1991 BRG - Daughter's daily driver.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »

^^^ What he wrote.

When you look at the intake and exhaust components of the FM Big Enchilada, you can see how they will make more horsepower. A box of electronics? Not so much, but it addresses all of the failings of the stock ECU & sensors (the Bog, can't run decent sized injectors, poor air/fuel ratio management and the hated low redline). I think I could argue it either way (Intake/Exhaust vs ECU as first mod).

Unless you are failing as an ME, you'll pick up ECU management pretty easily. Now please go read the last few entries in the what I did today thread and design a flexible drive system for the Crossfire spoiler so we can mount the motor in one of the trunk tunnels and get the weight off the trunk lid. Just kidding (sort of).

Welcome to the forum. We play nice here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:37:22 PM by '95MSM » Logged

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
Qwimby1
Fourth Gear

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:51:23 AM »

I think the intake and FM downpipe will net you about 40HP with no loss of reliability.  That has been my experience so far.

05 Titanium MSM with essentially permanent hardtop.  FM intake and downpipe, V-Maxx suspension, 15" BBS wheels from 95LE, 3.63 diff.  In the past - 94 NA, 83 Ferrari 308 GTS Quatrovalve, 86 Ferrari 328 GTS, 86 Porsche 944, 86 944 turbo, 62 XKE coupe, 64 XKE coupe, 55 Jaguar XK140 MC coupe, 71 Volvo P1800. 55 Triumph T110 motorcycle, 74 Honda 550, 99 BMW R1100RT, 02 BMW R1150RT, 04 BMW R1150R, 09 Suzuki V-Strom 650. lots of assorted British, German and Italian cars and bikes.
RockHead
Second Gear

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »

You're going down the exact path I've been on for the past year since I got my MSM. Started with Joe's intake, then the eBay FMIC, then FM catback ($350 used), then FM downpipe. Got $250 back selling the stock MSM turbo back parts. Messing around now with an old, cheap $200 Xede piggyback ECU now, while I try to wear out tires. I've spent very little time with it so far, less than an hour or so before reverting to stock tuning.

Just know that the improvements gained from ever single one of these things you do, only serves to increasingly highlight the crappiness of the stock ECU. With the full bolt-on breathing mods, once the car gets into open loop and AFR goes properly rich over 4000 RPM , it's an explosive monster. Below that it's good, but the transition is insane. It was less dramatic before putting in the dp, which made a huge difference, as did the intake & boost controller. FMIC didn't do much for the butt dyno, but is a good idea at higher than stock boost.

Now I just want that 4000+ RPM power to move down the rev band!! I may wind up with a Rev/MS Labs Megasquirt 3 Basic or Extreme & bigger injectors eventually, but I'm hoping I can get something out of this very inexpensive old piggyback for a while. I'll have some more time to mess with it today or tomorrow. If I can get 80% of the gains of a MS for 15%-20% of the price, that would be a win in my book. I'm cheap and poor -divorced, with an unemployed ex-wife, a girlfriend, 2 kids and a college tuition approaching... Lots of things to spend $$ on besides my toy!

Also AARP eligible but in denial.

Edited for language
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:37:18 PM by RockHead » Logged

VR, #1032, purchased 09/09/15
Joe's intake w/MBC @ 10 psi, 27 x 5.5 eBay FMIC, FM turbo-back exhaust, Xede piggyback ECU, Carbotech 1521 rear brakes
Other stuff- Garage Star delrin door bushings, Grom Bluetooth, Tapturn w/strobe, LED brake & turn signals with switchbacks in front, Autometer boost gauge, AEM wideband, Audiovox cruise control (PO)
wildbill
2004 Mazda MX5 SE ( Australian Mazdaspeed
Fourth Gear

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »

In the end you will want 300 plus rwhp and that get very expensive Roll Eyes

2004 Mazda Mx5 SE - Originally Silver prior to the Re-Spray. Adaptronic PNP ECU- Custom 3" stainless steel exhaust. Custom twistmount manifold and downpipe-Garrett GTX 2863r Turbo - Custom Clutch-Injectors -ebay intercooler  Eagle Rods and high pressure oil and petrol pump.

Dyno'd @ 301.9 RWHP
thomsoad
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »

In the end you will want 300 plus rwhp and that get very expensive Roll Eyes

Yeah: but OHH so worth it!!  cheesy

Previous MSM: 2004 TI; FM LE; Falken FK452s

Current MSM: GT Mica;
SUSPENSION/TRANSMISSION: 215/45/17 Pilot Super Sports; Tein Street Advance Coilovers; FM Happy Meal Level 1 System; GarageStar door bushings; MR short shifter
ENGINE: FM Wiseco Pistons; Carrillo A rods; ARP studs; ATI Super Damper; Mazdaspeed competition motor mounts; oversized intake valves, oversized Inconel exhaust valves, ACL Race bearings , FM valve springs; 700CC Deatschwerks injectors:  NGK plugs; Magnecor 8.5s .
PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: Upgraded Blouche turbo, FM Intake, FM full Exhaust, FM Intercooler
ECU: Hydra 2.7
MISCELLANEOUS:  Autometer Boost Gauge; Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, Motorcraft transmission fluid, Mobil 1 differential fluid, Castrol Platinum Synthetic Motor oil.

DYNOPACK RESULTS:
WHP: 256 @ 6141 rpm
TORQUE (lb/ft): 267.0 @ 4105 rpm
BOOST (PSI): 15.46 @ 4120 rpm
                     14.00 @ 3750 rpm

My MSM: Street...with attitude. Smiley
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 03:48:32 PM »

Now I just want that 4000+ RPM power to move down the rev band!!

Where the power comes on is also (largely?) a function of camshaft design. You could move it by changing the cam timing, but I suspect that you want to enlarge the power band, not just move it down by 500 - 1000 revs.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: