Mazda-speed.com
November 20, 2017, 12:06:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FM Hot Air intake fix with $130 K&N Apollo  (Read 3766 times)
joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »

I have the same blouch turbo with the BE and I can't seem to keep my temps below 90° on a wot run with ambient temps in the 70°. My average post intercooler temp is 110° on a 80° day. In stop and go traffic on a hot summer day the temps get ridiculous. I should have this k&n setup tomorrow and I will log temps from both. The temperatures have really started cooling off here in GA and ithe makes the world of difference. Hopefully I can show some differences between the intakes.
Unfortunately,  the day I put the Apollo on it was 90 degrees in Philadelphia.  Since then,  it is raining and 65. At 65, I don't think I can get any real data.

I have been running it in very rainy days with no issues.

My biggest concern with FM was at idle in traffic.  200+,  intake air.  I do see higher intake air than ambient in traffic . But nothing like the FM HOT air.  And the recovery is a lot faster. The FM intake seemed to never recover after a really hard hot day run. Sorry for not having data. I hope to have it,  but may not be until next summer.

But,  $130... and 1 hour to install. (I used the plastic black unit). The other colored options look to be aluminum and I wanted the plastic being it has a lower coefiient of thermal conductivity,  keeping it cool longer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

'95MSM
Fifth Gear

Turbo clocked downward, new i/c plumbing

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »

Were you morally opposed to cutting a hole in the "firewall"? I probably have more intake noise, but I'm not aware of any other downside. Cheap & easy, best possible source for intake air.

'05 running gear + '95 body
3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

245.2 whp on default FM-Link maps (with OEM midpipe)
Titus69
First Gear

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 07:51:48 PM »

I already had one cut.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 03:25:49 AM »

Sorry, that was meant for joe.voss.18.

But since we're comparing notes, I have a generous hole cut in the "firewall", covered in a porous filter media to keep leaves and such out. My turbo is re-clocked and much of the length of the hotside pipe is exposed to air flow in the fender well. I have a Flyin' Miata intercooler, and the shape of the bumper cover is an NA with an R lip, not an MSM. My IAT sensor is about 6" upstream from the throttle body in a custom TB elbow that is almost entirely out of the radiator air discharge.

Now that I'm detailing all of this, I realize there are quite a few seemingly small details that may be adding up to a noticeable improvement in performance. I usually see ambient plus about 8 degrees during normal driving (some boost, but no long WOT pulls).

3.63 ring & pinion FM content: Blouch compressor mod, FM-Link, i/c & no-MAF intake.   BEGi: Stainless SGDP w/ metal core performance cat.   Custom stuff: Compressor clocked downward w/ new i/c pipe, big radius throttle elbow, 2.5" mid-pipe w/ Hushpower II, dual 2" axle-back w/ open Supertrapps, Toyota 4 pc cop ignition

Titus69
First Gear

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 03:50:19 AM »

Every little bit counts.

I had a chance to install the k&n today. I must say I'm pretty impressed with how much smoother the Rev is with this intake. I was expecting maybe a little lower intake temp but with out even tracking anything yet I can tell something is different. Definitely a good different. I will post what the difference between the intake temps are when I get a chance.
joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

joe.voss -

In another thread you mentioned that you now know that the fender gets heat-soaked. With the hot-side intercooler pipe running right through that area, I don't find that particularly surprising. Do you still feel the Apollo is tremendously superior?

Also, did you capture post-intercooler intake air temps for both the FM and the Apollo? That's the temp that matters. With my FM "Hot Air" Intake AND the Blouch compressor upgrade running to 15 psi (which elevates temps quite a lot more than a stock IHI), I usually run just a few degrees over ambient after the intercooler.
I am running stock ECU so, not sure how to get post intercooler temps via OBD2.

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »

Were you morally opposed to cutting a hole in the "firewall"? I probably have more intake noise, but I'm not aware of any other downside. Cheap & easy, best possible source for intake air.
That is probably the better solution.  I just didn't want to cut that hole.

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »

joe.voss -

In another thread you mentioned that you now know that the fender gets heat-soaked. With the hot-side intercooler pipe running right through that area, I don't find that particularly surprising. Do you still feel the Apollo is tremendously superior?

Also, did you capture post-intercooler intake air temps for both the FM and the Apollo? That's the temp that matters. With my FM "Hot Air" Intake AND the Blouch compressor upgrade running to 15 psi (which elevates temps quite a lot more than a stock IHI), I usually run just a few degrees over ambient after the intercooler.
How are you getting the intercooler temps?

Titus69
First Gear

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 10:20:52 PM »

I have seen about a 15-20° drop in post intercooler temps. Average temps at idle were 157ish° now with the k&n I am seeing 140ish°. I still need to compare my wot logs but I'm guessing it will show a pretty good difference.

Joe, I am running hydra with a GM intake sensor in my intake post intercooler.
'95MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 12:35:32 AM »

How are you getting the intercooler temps?
My FM-Link (standalone Link ECU with custom FM software developed almost 20 years ago) gives me direct access to the intake air temp probe in the throttle body elbow. I have a display embedded in the rear view mirror which allows me to check just about any input the FM-Link uses to manage the engine.

joe.voss.18
Second Gear

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 01:55:55 AM »

Every little bit counts.

I had a chance to install the k&n today. I must say I'm pretty impressed with how much smoother the Rev is with this intake. I was expecting maybe a little lower intake temp but with out even tracking anything yet I can tell something is different. Definitely a good different. I will post what the difference between the intake temps are when I get a chance.
I am glad to hear that you are having a similar experience.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: