Mazda-speed.com
November 20, 2017, 12:07:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to run vacuum hose to the cabin?  (Read 1044 times)
PK1
Third Gear

« on: September 28, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »

Getting ready to install the new Hydra I just received and I need to run a vacuum line through the firewall.  There are a few possibilities, just want to check in to see which is the best (Gallery is now read-only as Gary posted earlier, otherwise I'd post pictures).  Given that the Hydra goes behind the glove box and the connection in the engine bay is also on the passenger side, ideally I'd find a way in that area:

- There are two A/C pipes that go to the cabin, they are mounted on top of one another about 1-2" apart.  I could take the plug that goes around the pipe out, cut an opening, put it back and route the vacuum hose through it.  This would be the most direct route to the Hydra but it seems that it would be pretty tight and the hose may get pinched
- Less than a foot away from the above A/C lines, toward the driver side, there is a bundle of electrical wires that goes to the cabin.  From the engine bay it seems there is more room around it, but the hole is deep behind the HVAC unit inside the cabin and I don't see it unless I remove a lot of items
- On the drive side there is an open plug that I can use that would be fairly simple, but then I'd be adding a lot of hose since I'd have to go to the driver side and then back inside the cabin.  I would think shorter and most direct would be preferable for the cleanest signal

I'd appreciate some suggestions as to the best approach and what you guys do.

2005 VR MSM, #1254 of 1428
FM exhaust
Rest of FM LE kit + FM radiator and stage II fan in boxes awaiting installation
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »

There is a rubber plug in the firewall on both the driver's side and passenger side that you can pull out and have an open hole from the engine bay to the cabin.  I would suggest pulling a plug out and either drilling a hole in it or using a grommet to keep from cutting anything.

The one on the driver's side is in the area of the brake master cylinder, but a couple inches lower and toward the middle of the car.  The plug is maybe 3/4 the diameter of a dime.  This is all by memory, so I may be off a little.  The one on the passenger side is the same size and about the same location.  If my memory is correct, there is insulation on cabin side of the firewall, so you may also have to poke a hole in it to pull wires or hoses through it.

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
PK1
Third Gear

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »

The one on the driver side is pretty easy access.  The only unused plug that I see on the passenger side is close to where the fuse box is, and the space it too tight for my hands so to access it I'd have to remove the fuse box to make enough room for my hand to get through.  Even then, the opening is well hidden behind the air fan inside the cabin and I really don't feel like starting to take everything apart to get to it so that I can fish the hose through.

I did a lot of searching and the fact that I could find very little on this topic leads me to believe that it's a simple thing, but if it is, it's escaping me.  The easiest route that I can see is through making a hole next to the A/C lines, but I'd rather not mess with cutting around those lines if there are unused plugs available.

I'll keep looking, I'm sure I'm missing something here.

FM exhaust
PK1
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:32:02 AM »

Got it! Had to move the fuse box out of the way to get the passenger-side plug out and then I routed it in. 

FM exhaust
millsj
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 01:05:47 AM »

afro

FM full intake, FM DP and Exhaust, AFCO Shocks (550/400 lb springs), FM O2 Modifier, Hallman MBC with in-cabin controller, Stewart-Warner Boost Gauge, HDHCDD with Harness Bar, RB 1.125" Front Sway Bar, E-bay Delta Fin 27x7x2.5 FMIC, Ultra-Shield Rally Sport seats, Carbotech XP-12/10 pads, SS Brake Lines, PLX DM-100 Multi-Gauge, FM Crossflow Radiator, Spal Fans, FM Oil Cooler, custom in-dash oil pressure warning LEDS, i-Shift LED shift lights, 15x9 bronze 6UL track tires, COT NASCAR wing, DIY front splitter, fully ducted radiator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: