Mazda-speed.com
November 20, 2017, 12:01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: timing belt change.. then nothing  (Read 1058 times)
gladuboy
Fourth Gear

« on: October 02, 2016, 07:32:13 PM »

i just finished installing a new timing belt in my 04 MSM lined everything up. car idles great for 10 minutes. put the wheels back on, lowered it off jack stands, and now it wont start it fires once then nothing. it threw a code p0340 after a few tries. i made sure the timing wheel was on correctly it is. I removed the belts to check the timing wheel then tried to turn it on with the belts off and it started and ran perfect. i reinstalled the belts now it wont start again. I am truly at a loss.

#1750 velocity red. begi intake,roadstersport exhaust , SGDP forge bypass valve,mishimoto radiator,evans coolant npg+c, vmaxx xtreme kit, ss brake lines,           
04 strato blue ls (traded)
84 fiero (sold)
85 fiero gt(sold)
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »

That code indicates a problem with the Cam Sensor, not the Crank Sensor.  But that said I'd start by checking for a problem with the wiring for the crank sensor.  Could the wires be cut by the water pump pulley which would explain why taking off the belts might make it run. 

If you can't find anything there, the timing disc is on right and the crank sensor is parallel and adjusted to the minimum gap then I'd go after the Cam Sensor.  Do not get an OEM unit.  Rock Auto sells them at a good price.

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
gladuboy
Fourth Gear

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:03 PM »

that was it. the wire was rubbing on the power steering pulley

#1750 velocity red. begi intake,roadstersport exhaust , SGDP forge bypass valve,mishimoto radiator,evans coolant npg+c, vmaxx xtreme kit, ss brake lines,           
04 strato blue ls (traded)
84 fiero (sold)
85 fiero gt(sold)
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »

that was it. the wire was rubbing on the power steering pulley

I had a similar issue once but it was insane.  I had the EBC solenoid break off the cam cover and fall down on the belts.  When the engine was running slowly it was fine but when it revved the unit moved and shorted out the crank sensor.  Of course this happened during the MATG weekend when I was leading my clubs membership to the gap.  We were running up the mountain road to Highlands NC and the car kept losing power. 

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: