Mazda-speed.com
January 19, 2019, 11:26:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OEM luggage rack?  (Read 7200 times)
Black Mica 05
Fifth Gear

#1068/1428 11/9/04

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:09 PM »

OK, the verdict is in.

The reference to Lucas reminds me of the time my Jaguar XKE voltage regulator went out in the Utah badlands and I had to find a place to recharge the battery every night to keep us going the next day.  

Why do the British drink warm beer?  They have Lucas refrigerators.

My first car was a '57 MGA.  It had two 6 volt batteries underneath a steel panel behind the seats.  The batteries were on each side of the car in metal holders.  The batteries were not contained by the body and were completely exposed to the elements.  Each year I had to replace one battery.  Iirc the fuel pump was a SU.  I was leaving college in Iowa enroute to New York...this was a classic trip in which everything seemed to break.  The head gasket gave out leaving town.  This was a poor design 4 into 3, with two cylinders exhausting into one center header pipe.  Then the fuel pump started to fail, I had to stop in each state, get out under the car and tap the pump with my copper knock-off hammer.  If I did it right the points would click and the fuel pump worked for awhile.  I finally got to Ohio, I bought a new fuel pump...after that I always carried spare fuel pump points.  Once I got closer (Pa and NJ), I started to get a series of flat tires.  Wire wheels and inner tubes not always a good idea.  Luckily, I had already learned to patch tubes.   In those days a garage would let a kid use their shop equipment to remove a tire and repair a tube.  These days you best stay out of their shop.  

I guess I could say...kids nowadays in their reliable sports cars with roll up windows and heat in the winter not to mention AC.  I didn't have it so good as a kid, it took 15 minutes to put down (remove the top).  Sliding plastic windows...no locks on the doors...  In the end I learned a lot about cars, how I expected them to perform and how I could avoid many problems.

I could go on but this site may be closing before I could tell half of my MGA/MGB/Sprite/356 stories.  This site has been my first read each day since I got my MSM in 2010.  I have been a member of M.Net since inception in the 90's.  While I get why this is happening and read other members making the best of things...

This place has been a very special outpost on the internet for the MSM.  Thanks to our great moderators and members...and special thanks to Miata Jim for having the vision and setting this site up a long time ago...Charlie
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:21:07 PM by Black Mica 05 » Logged

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...not screaming, like the passengers in his car
Qwimby1
Fourth Gear

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »

Bet you could sell the luggage rack to some sucker, wait I meant enthusiast, over on Miata.net    Smiley
I still haven't ruled out installing it.  If I decide I'll drive the MSM forever and not worry about resale, who knows what I might do to it just to make it the way I like.

05 Titanium MSM with essentially permanent hardtop.  FM intake and downpipe, V-Maxx suspension, 15" BBS wheels from 95LE, 3.63 diff.  In the past - 94 NA, 83 Ferrari 308 GTS Quatrovalve, 86 Ferrari 328 GTS, 86 Porsche 944, 86 944 turbo, 62 XKE coupe, 64 XKE coupe, 55 Jaguar XK140 MC coupe, 71 Volvo P1800. 55 Triumph T110 motorcycle, 74 Honda 550, 99 BMW R1100RT, 02 BMW R1150RT, 04 BMW R1150R, 09 Suzuki V-Strom 650. lots of assorted British, German and Italian cars and bikes.
SilverMiataRacer
Global Moderator
Fifth Gear

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »

Bet you could sell the luggage rack to some sucker, wait I meant enthusiast, over on Miata.net    Smiley
I still haven't ruled out installing it.  If I decide I'll drive the MSM forever and not worry about resale, who knows what I might do to it just to make it the way I like.

I'm a believer in driving a car set up the way you want it.  In the case of doing something like wheels sticking out of the wheel wells and the car dragging the ground or a luggage rack on a Miata you need to strong enough to live with the criticism you will get for doing it.   Smiley

Larry

4 Miatas but who's counting!!   Cool

White Knight    1991 Crystal White   #99 CSP
Silver Bullet     1992 Silverstone     #17 SM2  FM I+ Turbo  (Gone but not forgotten)
Honey B          1992 Sunburst Yellow #99 SM2 J.R. M45
Whooosh         2004 Titanium MazdaSpeed MX5  #403 of 4000
Subie              2006 Steel Gray WRX STi Cobb Stage 2 (Gone but not forgotten)
No name yet    2008 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Z06 Corvette
No Name yet    2014 Ashen Grey Metallic Camaro 2SS 1LE

“There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.”
– Ernest Hemingway
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: