Mazda-speed.com
April 02, 2020, 09:50:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Recommendations?  (Read 5521 times)
LateApex
Fourth Gear

I'm a victim of soicumstance!

« on: March 03, 2005, 12:30:05 AM »

I'm getting ready to order a set of 15" wheels and some 195/55/15 tires to go with 'em. (Bumpy roads and the stock 17s are pounding me). I'm considering Toyo T1Ss and Falken Azenis primarily, but stumbled across these:

http://www.ec-securehost.com/OnlineTires.com/Federal_SS-595.html

I'm not familiar with Federal tires. Anyone had any experience with the SS 595s? At $52 apiece, they're tempting, but I don't want to compromise on grip/handling vs. the alternatives noted above.

Any and all other recommendations are also welcome. I have a 2000-mile trip coming up in May, and there's no way I want to do it on the stock setup.

04 Ti MSM | FM full exhaust | 949racing 6UL Nickel Finish 15x8s with Hankook 225/45 front and 225/50 rear | FM intake kit | High-flow grille | Voodoo spun magnum shift knob | Speedhut boost gauge | Thompson Nautilus air horn | Ebay FMIC
enuttage
Second Gear

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:37:11 AM »

I haven't the slightest on the Federals, but I'd throw Kumho MXs into the mix with those other two you've mentioned. They have a similar price point (< the new Falkens) and similar grip (> Toyos).

-E
muddy
Fifth Gear

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 04:24:59 PM »

I agree on the Kumho MX.  It is a good tire if you want similar grip, but a softer ride.  It has better grip in standing water, as well.  I would also go with 205/50/15, I don't think the Azenis or the MX is offered in 195/5X/15.

2004 Ti MSM, Royal Black 16x7 Rota GT3s, Tien SS, RB front ASB, FM Exhaust, Ebay IC, AEM Intake, MBC
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 03:08:10 AM »

I have purchased tires and wheels from Tire Rack for a similar purpose. Not only are the roads here in central Maine bumpy from late winter until late spring (frost heaves, pot holes) but it can snow into early May. Just to be sure I don't find myself miles from home in an unexpected snow storm with summer tires, I got high-performance all-seasons. After looking at the ratings and reviews on the Tire Rack site, I consulted with one of their guys, Blake, who seemed very knowledgeable. I wound up with the BF Goodrich Traction T/A VR's in 195x55/15, which scored well in all their categories, including snow traction. They were $78 each. I got ASA JS1 wheels ($99 each), which are simple, a little lighter than the others (17# vs. 19#), and, according to Blake, quite strong.

I can't report on my impressions because the tires and wheels sit still on my garage floor, awaiting a day over about 45 degrees for me to install them. Hopefully, that will happen before April! My '04 MSM has been slumbering in the garage since I brought it home from the dealer's last month. When things warm up enough for us to venture forth, it will be wearing the BFGs.

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:20:53 AM »

I am going through this decision tree myself.  I want cheap, light, and high performance too.  You know what they say you can have two, not three.  What makes it even harder on the MSM is the already short gearing. The 20540/17s are already a tall tire. The traditional Miata sizes of 195/50/15, 205/50/15, 205/45/16 all shorten up the gearing even more.

So I am looking at a 225/50/15 or a 205/55/15............. No way am I going to wait around until one of the zillion Houston potholes takes out a Racing Hart. They have hurt me, hurt designed all over them. Also they look like baby buggy wheels on the Miata with the open design and the smallish for 17" rotors.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge MSM specific DV on the car.
Cruise Control still in the box not on the car.
15" Rota GT3s Black with Polished Lip... Yeah Muddy made me do it.
Michelin Exalto P2
LateApex
Fourth Gear

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 03:37:27 AM »

Thanks to all for the feedback. It sounds like the Kumhos might be my best bet. I rarely drive the MSM in the rain, so wet traction matters a little less to me than it might to others. And given my locale (southern Mississippi), all-season tires definitely aren't necessary.

Here's the problem with research: the more options I discover, the harder the choice becomes.  Roll Eyes Are any of you considering 15x6.5 rims, or only 15x7s? I can find a lot more wheels I like in the narrower width, but again, don't want to compromise handling. And then there's the 16x7 option.... How sweet would a set of these TSW Rocket 4s...

http://www.tsw.com/new/productline_all.php#rocket4

...look on a Ti MSM?

04 Ti MSM | FM full exhaust | 949racing 6UL Nickel Finish 15x8s with Hankook 225/45 front and 225/50 rear | FM intake kit | High-flow grille | Voodoo spun magnum shift knob | Speedhut boost gauge | Thompson Nautilus air horn | Ebay FMIC
LateApex
Fourth Gear

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 03:42:38 AM »

I got ASA JS1 wheels ($99 each), which are simple, a little lighter than the others (17# vs. 19#)

Would love to see pics if possible once you put these on, esp. if your MSM is Titanium Gray....

keeton
Second Gear

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 05:26:30 AM »

The Kumho MX is not available in the 195/55/15 size.  The other Kumho's that are available in 195/55 are not as highly regarded.

In addition to the 195/55/15's, 215/50/15 would be an exact diameter replacement for the MSM wheels.  Unfortunately, there are not many good choices listed for that size on www.tirerack.com (Goodyear GA's on a Miata? Yuk!)
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

I am 99% sure that I will go with Dunlop SP8000s in either 225/50/15, or 205/15/50 size. I think I have settled on the Konig Network 15x7 in Bronze. Yeah Bronze on a Titanium.   cheesy

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/21-1042.html

Too bad I can't get both from the TireRack but that is the way it goes.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Michelin Exalto P2
4score
First Gear

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 07:01:33 AM »

Hey Gtgray....what is it that attracts you to the Dunlaps over...say the Toyo TS1's?
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 05:11:48 PM »

Hey Gtgray....what is it that attracts you to the Dunlaps over...say the Toyo TS1's?

Sorry I did not see your post earlier. I have had two sets of Toyos that got horribly noisy. Intolerable really. One set was on my '01 LS. the other on my '01 protege. Handling was excellent as was ride. Twice burned. Really loved them in the begining. Just as I really like the R28s on the MSM. I have never had tires get that loud that fast. I got pretty good tread wear... especially on the Protege but the noise....  knuppel2

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Michelin Exalto P2
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 05:14:18 PM »

I am 99% sure that I will go with Dunlop SP8000s in either 225/50/15, or 205/15/50 size. I think I have settled on the Konig Network 15x7 in Bronze. Yeah Bronze on a Titanium.   cheesy

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/21-1042.html

Too bad I can't get both from the TireRack but that is the way it goes.

Well I did something else, hopefully it will work out. I ordered a set of 15x7 Rota GT3 blacks with polished lip. Nobody knows if the 15s will clear the brakes.... I guess we will find out soon enough. Ordered through R-Speed. They will have to order, so it will be a bit.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Michelin Exalto P2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: