Mazda-speed.com
November 14, 2019, 05:54:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under Hood Pics with Explanation  (Read 44644 times)
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« on: March 07, 2005, 12:03:53 AM »

Hi All!

I thought maybe some of you could help me (and others I guess) by helping in a small project to help familiarize myself with the MSM.

Let's grab an image and in an image editor drop a dot-line-polygon around engine components to label them for the MSM newbie.

This idea came to me when someone said check the boost solenoid connection, which I have no idea what to look for.

I'd sure appreciate the help, and I think it will help some of the lower level lamos like me Grin IT may also be a good reference for other threads.

thanks
mgb

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:16:30 AM by SilverMiataRacer » Logged

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 06:09:38 AM »

seems to be working out!

thanks

mgb
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 01:22:29 AM by mgb » Logged

rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »

or you could just post the pictures & questions in this thread?

1984 GSL-SE - Baby popped her Wanklel Sad
1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
'04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun Cheesy[/b]

How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??
miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »

I'm with rx7gslse , post it here, that way people can check each others work. Jim

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
Keeper of the FAQs
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:20:38 PM »

Can't you web gurus come up with a way we can submit the name of major components by clicking on them?
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 11:06:10 PM »

let's try this:

8 numbered components below, please respond using something like: 1 = throttle body.

There is one blue arrow, please indicate if flow direction is correct or backwards, where the flow comes from, and where it goes.

There is also a red arrow, same idea.

I hope this will be fun for some of you, it will definatley help me. I'll enjoy looking under the hood and actually knowing something.

If any of you have an image editor, join in the fun.

These were just the first items I chose, let's see how it goes, and I'll add another image with other components

THANKS!

EDIT: pic is big, you'll need to scroll to the right.

IMAGE-1
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 08:59:55 AM by mgb » Logged

testdriver
Fourth Gear

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 11:59:35 PM »

1 oil dip stick
2 clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir
3 air box (this is where your air filter is)
4 intake pipe coming from the turbo
5 intake pipe going to the turbo
6 air intake snorkel
7 hose from air box (3) to intake pipe (5)
8 blow off valve
 I think your flows are backwards. The air goes into the snorkel (1) to air box (3) to the hose coming out of the air box (7) to the intake pipe towards (5) and through the turbo to the intake pipe that comes from the turbo (4) down through the intercooler (not shown but is the thing that looks like the small radiator in the mouth on the front of the car) and back up to the intake manifold (gray thing on the other side of the engine) when you let of the gas, the bov (-8-) equalizes the pressure between the intake pipe going towards the turbo (5). This effectively stops the boost and keeps back pressure off of the turbo.

hope this helps!
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 12:27:35 AM »

Thanks testdriver! i was pretty sure about the dipstick, just was thinking it might have been a stick for the trans, but then that's for a auto trans only if I'm correct. The flow direction was a guess, too bad I didn't guess correclty, I lost the 50-50 odds.

I'll post somemore, very very helpful.

Keeper of the FAQs
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 12:53:21 AM »

the thingamabob right above the BOV is the boost control solinoid... Smiley
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 01:18:18 AM »

OK, let's see if we got the boost control solinoid labeled correctly!

Where there is just a number, I didn't know.

Where there is a number and text, I'm pretty sure, or testdriver pointed it out. PLEASE CONFIRM these.

please make reference to the image number I'm supplying for future visitors, here's image-2

IMAGE-2
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 09:01:54 AM by mgb » Logged

Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 09:19:04 PM »

Yes, you are right that #4 is the intake manifold.
It seems huge for this engine, or maybe that's because it sits up so high. Wink

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
Keeper of the FAQs
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 01:20:44 AM »

1 is the boost control solinoid

3 is part of the A/C system

I have noticed the intake piping is diffrent on my MSM than you have shown in the picture, the hose going off the boost control solinoid back into the intake is MUCh shorter...

nsanityownzu
Downhill expert
Fourth Gear

Justice

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 11:00:11 AM »

on the note of a throttle body, and hate to be a topic stealer...but does anyone know what size our throttle body is in mm? Is it the same as the 04' n/a and if so, are there bigger replacements ( aftermarket upgrades ) to replace this?

BTW This little diagram has helped me out alot too.  Grin

04' VR MSM - Justice - Modifications - TurboXS RFL BOV
Coming Sonn - Anything from VishnuTuning
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 06:30:14 PM »

So, in IMAGE-2 we've confirmed 1,3 & 4. And I think 5is correct, or nsanity would have probably known it wasn't.

Can anyone label 2 & 6?

LateApex
Fourth Gear

I'm a victim of soicumstance!

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 08:03:41 PM »

2 is the power steering fluid dipstick/reservoir...

Like Keeper's, my MSM's plumbing is a little different, especially between the boost control solenoid and the intake pipe. If it would help, I can post a pic with labels for everything that has been identified so far. Photoshop is ready and waiting!

04 Ti MSM | FM full exhaust | 949racing 6UL Nickel Finish 15x8s with Hankook 225/45 front and 225/50 rear | FM intake kit | High-flow grille | Voodoo spun magnum shift knob | Speedhut boost gauge | Thompson Nautilus air horn | Ebay FMIC
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: