Mazda-speed.com
November 14, 2019, 05:52:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under Hood Pics with Explanation  (Read 44642 times)
nsanityownzu
Downhill expert
Fourth Gear

Justice

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 03:52:14 PM »

I think it would be best if you went ahead and did the photoshop, except..make it one image, so that we can see where everything is, and dont have to refer to two different images for different sides of the motor.

04' VR MSM - Justice - Modifications - TurboXS RFL BOV
Coming Sonn - Anything from VishnuTuning
LateApex
Fourth Gear

I'm a victim of soicumstance!

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 04:27:28 PM »

Here's what I have so far. Notice #10, which doesn't appear in mgb's photo at all. Mazda changed the intake plumbing some time during the production run. My car is #3710.

***Edited as noted in post below***

« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 11:40:18 PM by LateApex » Logged

04 Ti MSM | FM full exhaust | 949racing 6UL Nickel Finish 15x8s with Hankook 225/45 front and 225/50 rear | FM intake kit | High-flow grille | Voodoo spun magnum shift knob | Speedhut boost gauge | Thompson Nautilus air horn | Ebay FMIC
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 06:03:34 PM »

NICE JOB Cheesy

miatajim
Southington, CT Mazda-speed.com founder.
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 06:10:09 PM »

1. charcoal canister 
10. breather line from then oil catch can

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 06:30:21 PM »

charcoal canister:

The theory of operation on the charcoal canister is that it absorbs gas fumes from the tank as it vents out of the tank during filling /expansion of the contents and also allows air to flow through into the tank as the gas is consumed. The hose from the cooling shroud blows air into the canister and that air vents to the aircleaner, where is the slightly 'enriched' airflow mixes with regular air sucked into the aircleaner and goes through the engine, burning up the gas fumes.

The charcoal canister actually becomes ineffective eventually, and is intended to be replaced at 30,000 mile intervals I think. I don't know anyone who does that but that's what's intended.

source: http://www.type2.com/library/fuel/egr.htm

Keeper of the FAQs
Fifth Gear

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 06:41:32 PM »

11 is actually the air flow sensor, the air filter box is mounted to it (the  biiger box)
LateApex
Fourth Gear

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 06:51:37 PM »

11 is actually the air flow sensor, the air filter box is mounted to it (the  biiger box)

My mistake. Looked at the manual, which shows the air filter directly underneath where I placed the 11. I know the box itself is the whole thing, but didn't realize that a sensor sits on top of the filter (haven't had a reason to open the box yet).

I'll make and post corrections later today when I get home, since that's where the Photoshop file with the layers is.  Wink

Let me know if there are other components people want identified.

04 Ti MSM | FM full exhaust | 949racing 6UL Nickel Finish 15x8s with Hankook 225/45 front and 225/50 rear | FM intake kit | High-flow grille | Voodoo spun magnum shift knob | Speedhut boost gauge | Thompson Nautilus air horn | Ebay FMIC
Keeper of the FAQs
Fifth Gear

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 08:43:48 PM »

11 is actually the air flow sensor, the air filter box is mounted to it (the biiger box)

My mistake. Looked at the manual, which shows the air filter directly underneath where I placed the 11. I know the box itself is the whole thing, but didn't realize that a sensor sits on top of the filter (haven't had a reason to open the box yet).

I'll make and post corrections later today when I get home, since that's where the Photoshop file with the layers is. Wink

Let me know if there are other components people want identified.

Thanks for the good work, BTW Smiley
RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 08:56:19 PM »

As keeper and LateApex noticed, the pumbing between the boost control solenoid and the intake pipe doesn't match their MSMs. It doesn't match mine either. The pics I used came from one of Jim's galleries titled "Mazda Promo Photos". Guess it made it an interesting excercise. Thought it worth mentioning!

LateApex
Fourth Gear

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

OK, the image posted above now includes all corrections noted between that post and this one. MGB and others, let me know if you want to add more to the graphic.

Gonna be top-down weather here this weekend--low 70s and sunny. Time to rack up some more miles!  Cool

miatajim
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 11:18:28 PM »

More motor shot I took today http://s92541411.onlinehome.us/gallery/album08 Jim

04 VR Mods FM LE KIT, GFB VTA, HID's, Nexus 7 in dash, Rotationally Molded Sub(4) Box, RF Amp 100x4, Polk door speakers, Running remote mod, HDHCDD RB, A-piller Temp/Boost gauges.
babailey
Third Gear

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 04:15:18 AM »

Can we see a picture of the "different" plumbing?  My MSM plumbing looks like the posted pics but I wonder if the different plumbing could be the cause of the stronger/weaker cars that FM keeps talking about.

Wolf - 2004 Ti MSM
LateApex
Fourth Gear

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 04:58:25 AM »

As keeper and LateApex noticed, the pumbing between the boost control solenoid and the intake pipe doesn't match their MSMs. It doesn't match mine either. The pics I used came from one of Jim's galleries titled "Mazda Promo Photos". Guess it made it an interesting excercise. Thought it worth mentioning!

It sounds like MGB started the thread with a photo that may not represent how production MSMs were actually configured. Check my graphic above, looking specifically at numbers 5 and 8, and number 10. Then go back to the first page of this thread and look at MGB/Jim's image. 5 and 8 are not the same, and #10 (the oil catch can breather line) is completely absent in the first set of pics.

Either those pics are of a preproduction car (my bet), or Mazda made changes during the production run. How about it, any of you with an older 2004? Does MGB's pic look like what you see under your hood? 

RODEO
TI MSM
Fifth Gear

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 05:04:40 AM »

Can we see a picture of the "different" plumbing? My MSM plumbing looks like the posted pics but I wonder if the different plumbing could be the cause of the stronger/weaker cars that FM keeps talking about.

Late Apex hit it on the head. here's the 2 plumbing pics, top left is the promo pic, bottom right is LateApxe's pic, the plumbing is highlighted in green. look at the pics I posted vs LateApex's for comprison.

miatajim
Fifth Gear

Mazda-Speed.com Founder.

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 11:15:54 AM »

Look at the conection to your cooling fan and AC Fan, do you have 2 wires or 4? If you have 2 it's an early car, 4 wire was as later running change. Jim

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: