Mazda-speed.com
April 02, 2020, 09:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How important are light wheels / tires?  (Read 7347 times)
nsanityownzu
Downhill expert
Fourth Gear

Justice

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 05:28:36 PM »

Just one phrase to end it all " Gram lights make my world go round "

Seriously better acceleration. Better than I could have ever thought possible. The handling is about the same, alittle better actually. Of course...the only reason I originally got these...was because they will be playing into my " dump the fat " stratagedy that I have planned for my msm. ( ie CF hood, CF trunk, CF seats, ect ). Our car is light naturally..and I love the look of the stock 04's I have...but, like gtgray stated...they are just to damn expensive to replace.

04' VR MSM - Justice - Modifications - TurboXS RFL BOV
Coming Sonn - Anything from VishnuTuning
LeftyS7
First Gear

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 02:04:46 AM »

The best performance upgrade that can be made on ANY vehicle is lighter wheels and tires. The extra mass affects braking, acceleration and responding to bumps. I got a deal on used SSR Competitions and saved 6# per wheel (as I recall). It makes a BIG difference. Before I got the SSRs I ran the 13# Miata 15" wheels and that made a difference, too.

I changed the heavy wheels and runflats on my MINI Cooper S and the car was transformed. The negative comments about handling found in most of the car mag reviews were accurate with the heavy wheel/tire combo but baseless with the lighter set up.

The only real concern is strength for your road conditions.

2004 MSM Velocity Mica red, FM Cat-back, SSR rims.
sleighman
First Gear

2004/ 15X7- 215/50s /HDHC Roll Bar / FM int. & dp

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 09:22:11 PM »

I just switched the stock 17X7 with Toyos 205/40-17  to 15X7 Rota Slipstreams wth 215/50-15 (Dunlop).   I think I lost between 4-5 lbs. per wheel (including tire weight).  The ride is awesome.  No harsh shocks from small irregularities in the pavement; much quieter too.  Turn in is very interesting - perhaps a smidge (if that) less at the very start (I may even be imagining it), but once into the turn, the tendency of the car to push to the outside corner is gone -- it now turns in faster and can accelerate more comfortably, and it does not take great speed to notice the effect.  There is something to having less weight farther out on the diameter of the wheel/tire package. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: