Mazda-speed.com
April 06, 2020, 05:39:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What size wheels -- 15" or 16"?  (Read 5412 times)
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« on: April 04, 2005, 07:02:50 PM »

I want to replace my Hart wheels and Toyos for summer driving with rugged, light wheels and grippy, responsive tires.  Is there going to be much difference between a 15" wheel/tire combo and a 16" wheel/tire combo in terms of handling?

Does anyone have recommendations on tires, also taking into consideration reasonable price and decent wear?  idiot2
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 07:04:29 PM by a4mx5 » Logged

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 07:40:06 PM »

as for tires?  I'm a big fan of the Kuhmo MX (which I do not believe come in 15")  Azenis & TS-1s are great, but they will not last long.  (like 5-6,000miles)

the 15vs 16" arguement is purely subjective.  15s may weight a little less, but you will likely loose a bit of turn-in responsiveness due to a taller sidewall.  Which do you prefer?

This subject has come up many times...  I don't think we've yet seen a definitive *which is better* answer, and likely won't.. It's more of a "who prefers what"

FWIW, not all 15" wheels will fit over the MSM brakes either.  Be careful of fitments...

Eric
(who runs 16x7.5" when I'm not on the stock 17s Wink )

1984 GSL-SE - Baby popped her Wanklel Sad
1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
'04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun Cheesy[/b]

How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??
Latch
Third Gear

( ((d-_-b)) ) o/` o/`

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 09:45:41 PM »

as for tires?  I'm a big fan of the Kuhmo MX (which I do not believe come in 15")  Azenis & TS-1s are great, but they will not last long.  (like 5-6,000miles)

the 15vs 16" arguement is purely subjective.  15s may weight a little less, but you will likely loose a bit of turn-in responsiveness due to a taller sidewall.  Which do you prefer?

This subject has come up many times...  I don't think we've yet seen a definitive *which is better* answer, and likely won't.. It's more of a "who prefers what"

FWIW, not all 15" wheels will fit over the MSM brakes either.  Be careful of fitments...

Eric
(who runs 16x7.5" when I'm not on the stock 17s Wink )

They do in fact come in 15s, but only 205 width.  FM seems to like them, anyway -- though I don't know if they'll fit over our massive brakes.  I'm dyin' for some Rota Slipstreams, but can't find if those 15s fit for us.

04 Ti -- FM full exhaust, IC, O2 clamp, and intake. GFB noisemaker (<3), MBC, Autometer cheap-o boost gauge.. 16" Rota Slips with Toyo T1Rs.  Moss grille.  Big-ass grin (original equipment).
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 12:33:32 AM »

Eric -- What size Kumho's do you run on the 16" wheels?  Where's the best place to get them? 

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:03:00 AM »

well I'm running 205/45-16 Kuhmo V700 at the moment...

the next set will be the 215/40-16 V710s..

and they came from tirerack.. I've always had good luck with them and miata tires... (truck tires are another story...)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:05:49 AM by rx7gslse » Logged

Jae
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 03:48:39 AM »

I can't remember where I read this write-up on wheel size and performance.  I think it might have been GRM or something.  Anyway, the articles used an N/A Miata and tested it with 14", 15", 16" and 17" to see if there was a difference in track times.  If I remember right, the taller the wheel, up to 16" performed faster.  When 17's were tried, the times actually dropped back, probably due to the weight issue.

So the moral of the story is get 16's for better all-around performance.  I don't know if the extra hp and spring/shocks we MSM owners have compensate for the larger size 17's or not.  Someone should try this test with the MSM.  Hey FM how about you guys next time you are at the track.

'04 Ti - Sold!
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »

Did you notice what size tires and wheels FM put on their MSM for an upcoming challenge? They aren't 17"'s.

Eric
rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 03:51:44 PM »

their decision also had a ton to do with availabel tire sizes...  Max width within an acceptable diameter range.

If you look, there aren't many tires over 225 that are still close to teh 23.5" diameter...

gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 02:55:11 AM »

Well I would say hang on buying the MXs at this point I have a set on my MSM... and so far I can't say much positive... high speed handling disintegrated... and lots of vibration issues.. I will post what I find out when I solve this one.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge MSM specific DV on the car.
Cruise Control still in the box not on the car.
15" Rota GT3s Black with Polished Lip... Yeah Muddy made me do it.
Michelin Exalto P2
rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 01:14:18 PM »

what size tires did you go for?

It sounds like you may have some wheel balance issues... (or a bad set maybe)

I've never heard of that before....

Latch
Third Gear

( ((d-_-b)) ) o/` o/`

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 03:23:54 PM »

I myself finally decided on 16" Rota Slipstreams and the 205 Toyo T1-S.  I'll have them on by this weekend and let you guys know what I think.  I didn't get a chance to photoshop them in -- I hope they're not ugly.

04 Ti -- FM full exhaust, IC, O2 clamp, and intake. GFB noisemaker (<3), MBC, Autometer cheap-o boost gauge.. 16" Rota Slips with Toyo T1Rs.  Moss grille.  Big-ass grin (original equipment).
gtgray
Fifth Gear

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »

what size tires did you go for?

It sounds like you may have some wheel balance issues... (or a bad set maybe)

I've never heard of that before....

I have the 205/50/15 and they were Roadforce balanced..... I don't know what I am dealing with yet.. just not enough time this week to work things out.

Gary Gray

FM DP K&N Filer panel
Magnaflow Exhaust, Forge MSM specific DV on the car.
Cruise Control still in the box not on the car.
15" Rota GT3s Black with Polished Lip... Yeah Muddy made me do it.
Michelin Exalto P2
williemx5
Boricua
Third Gear

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 11:04:34 PM »

I myself finally decided on 16" Rota Slipstreams and the 205 Toyo T1-S. I'll have them on by this weekend and let you guys know what I think. I didn't get a chance to photoshop them in -- I hope they're not ugly.

Which color Slipstreams did you go with? I was going to get the Slipstreams but decided at the last moment to go with the Grids. Post some pics when you put them on. I think they will look great on a MSM.
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 01:55:37 AM »

I'm thinking of getting 16" Rota Subzeros with 205x45 Toyo T1-S's.
I'd love to hear what you have to say about the tires, Latch angel1

Latch
Third Gear

( ((d-_-b)) ) o/` o/`

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 04:51:51 PM »

I myself finally decided on 16" Rota Slipstreams and the 205 Toyo T1-S. I'll have them on by this weekend and let you guys know what I think. I didn't get a chance to photoshop them in -- I hope they're not ugly.

Which color Slipstreams did you go with? I was going to get the Slipstreams but decided at the last moment to go with the Grids. Post some pics when you put them on. I think they will look great on a MSM.

I ordered the steel gray from Mach III (they're a local shop so I can save on shipping), found a buyer for my 17s... then found out they only had the steel gray with polish in stock.  I'd have to wait two or three months on an order. x.x  So I went with the "Royal Steel Gray."  The slipstreams are a pretty un-blingy wheel, I just hope the polished lip doesn't look funny.

I'll grab pictures this weekend if I have time to wash the rest of the car.  She is dir-tay and I'm embarassed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: