Mazda-speed.com
April 02, 2020, 10:11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got Aligned  (Read 3077 times)
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« on: April 11, 2005, 01:25:56 AM »

I had my car into the shop to get a roll bar installed and had it aligned at the same time. A buddy of mine owns an really good auto-body shop and his guys did both.

One fellow there is the alignment maven, and he took on the MSM. He had my buddy, who weighs about the same as I, sit in the driver's seat while he did and re-did the alignment four times. He worked to some combination of the specs I gave him: Lanny's, Neil's, and Miq's, and kept futzing until he was satisfied. He test-drove the car (lucky him!) in between each iteration. (Cost for this was $70.)

My car really handles better now. In particular, the alignment quieted the pretty serious oversteer I was experiencing and just seems to make the MSM more responsive and controllable. Now, if I can only control my right foot...

My advice -- if you have never had an alignment and are thinking about it, don't think any more ... just do it. afro
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 01:27:37 AM by a4mx5 » Logged

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 01:13:58 PM »

What specs did you use?

Eric
Neil
Third Gear

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 05:12:41 PM »

Getting an alignment is probably the single most important mod for a Miata.

I'm watching tire tread on my MSM, so far it looks to be wearing the tires evenly

04 Titanium MSM FM DP Hydra ECU, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9
Ruffy
Runin' on Fumes
Third Gear

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:04:35 PM »

I'm afraid I can't answer exactly what final values the tech wound up using.  I gave him the values from Lanny and Miq, which are available under the Garage section of miata.net, and those of Neil, posted on this forum not too long ago.  From what I understand, he started with some reasonable average of those three and "tweeked" them a bit.

He did tell the owner of the shop, my buddy Jim, that the adjustments for both front and rear wheels were out a good ways from these values when he started.

As Neil says in the post before this one, it's well worth spending the money to get a good alignment.  For whatever reason, Miata didn't think it was very important when they built the cars.

FM downpipe, Enthuza Borla muffler, FM Complete Intake Kit & Boost Gauge, Clearwater speakers, Hard Dog rollbar, Konig Heliums, 3.63 rear end, Frog Arms, Intake grille, Chrome fuel fill plate, ModAux, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat Bump Stops, Racing Beat Sway Bar, Spoilerechtomy
frogmiata
still miss my old/totaled Ti
Third Gear

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »

just took my '04 to Apex yesterday.  Thought you might be interested in the INITIAL values.  Purchased this car in May last year in Manchester Ct. 
         Caster  6.3

Camber -0.1

Toe  -1/32 in
                    -1/16 in

Rear      Camber -1.1

Toe   1/8 in
                             0                  Again these are the initial Values!

'04 VR  #1695  BD 3/17/04  
AEM intake, Tru-Boost Gauge, FM downpipe, chrome TBI, clutch switch bypass,  GFB BOV, Begi intercooler, Reflash with 440 cc inj, Blouch turbo upgrade, Nielex short shift, 3.63 rear gears,Interior KG works dash, Chromed vent rings, door switch plates, hazard ring, latches, strikers, Exterior chrome fuel lid,Chromed windshield washer caps, taillamp trim, Hood lift,  Robbins Sunfast Top Boot, Frenzy Wave Bar and air block, Buck Diamond Grill, Cool Breeze, Arm wrestler, Clearwater speakers, Billet visor plates  ScanGuageII ,red painted brakes/hubs, Red and black momo shift 15" BBS RG-F wheels with BF Goodrich 225x50x15
2004TGrayMS
Fifth Gear

MSM Nut Back in Stamford!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 03:19:39 PM »

So what vallues did yoiu leave with? How does it handle?

04 MSM #1621 - Chromed Gas lid, Frenzy Waves, Zola knob, Buck Grille,
RB Turbo Exhaust, Full FM Intake, GFB BOV, Hallman Pro MBC (10.5PSI)Toyo T1-Rs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: