Mazda-speed.com
April 06, 2020, 07:00:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mazda-speed.com is no longer open and is now a read-only site. For Mazdaspeed Miata discussions, please visit the Mazdaspeed section on Miata.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Risks of buying used wheels?  (Read 4009 times)
Latch
Third Gear

( ((d-_-b)) ) o/` o/`

« on: April 13, 2005, 01:47:13 AM »

So the vendor I had order my wheels is dragging its feet, and I'm having second thoughts on "full polish" slipstreams, anyway...  But I found a local set of flat black ones, used.  There's a serious gouge ( http://a.im.craigslist.org/3r/FY/RVhSJGc7ejpwu6toFVF20rKU90h3.jpg ) around one of the lug holes, though, and I'm not sure how worried I should be.  Is it always a bad idea to buy a wheel that's been cosmetically damaged?

04 Ti -- FM full exhaust, IC, O2 clamp, and intake. GFB noisemaker (<3), MBC, Autometer cheap-o boost gauge.. 16" Rota Slips with Toyo T1Rs.  Moss grille.  Big-ass grin (original equipment).
ilblissli
poker player
Fifth Gear

wake up with the king

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 02:07:00 AM »

I wouldn't be worried about the gouge other than the fact that it's probably from when he had to cut the wheel lock off of the wheels in order to get them off the car he stole them from... 

(2004 VR) FM DP, FM Intake and throttle body pipe, Turbo XS RFL BOV, Hallman PRO MBC, Enthuza XR exhaust, Hardog M2 Rollbar, Speedhut Boost Gauge and Epod, Mazdaspeed valvestem caps and license plate frame
testdriver
Fourth Gear

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 03:09:12 AM »

I wouldn't be worried about the gouge other than the fact that it's probably from when he had to cut the wheel lock off of the wheels in order to get them off the car he stole them from...
cheesy
Latch
Third Gear

( ((d-_-b)) ) o/` o/`

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 03:24:45 AM »

Man I feel naive for not realizing that. x.x

04 Ti -- FM full exhaust, IC, O2 clamp, and intake. GFB noisemaker (<3), MBC, Autometer cheap-o boost gauge.. 16" Rota Slips with Toyo T1Rs.  Moss grille.  Big-ass grin (original equipment).
muddy
Fifth Gear

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »

Why would someone cut off a wheel lock when all you have to do is hammer a socket on it?  I would get pics of the wheels and decide whether they are worth it or not.   Tongue

2004 Ti MSM, Royal Black 16x7 Rota GT3s, Tien SS, RB front ASB, FM Exhaust, Ebay IC, AEM Intake, MBC
04VRMSMX5
Fifth Gear

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »

That was funny, but wouldn't there be the same marks on the other three wheels if it were true?

Eric
ilblissli
poker player
Fifth Gear

wake up with the king

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »

That was funny, but wouldn't there be the same marks on the other three wheels if it were true?

perhaps they realized that they could hammer a socket onto the other ones...?  cheesy

(2004 VR) FM DP, FM Intake and throttle body pipe, Turbo XS RFL BOV, Hallman PRO MBC, Enthuza XR exhaust, Hardog M2 Rollbar, Speedhut Boost Gauge and Epod, Mazdaspeed valvestem caps and license plate frame
rx7gslse
Mmmm Beer....
Fifth Gear

Will work for parts!

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 02:03:17 PM »

actually it looks like he may have been hammering a socket on...  Just just wasn't a real good aim with teh hammer Wink

but eitherway, I wouln'dt worrk about teh structural integrity of the wheels with just those scratches..

1984 GSL-SE - Baby popped her Wanklel Sad
1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
'04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun Cheesy[/b]

How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??
Latch
Third Gear

( ((d-_-b)) ) o/` o/`

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 05:21:41 PM »

Fuggit.  I'm buying a set of flat black 15s from a local dealer. afro
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:32:18 PM by Latch » Logged

muddy
Fifth Gear

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 08:51:01 PM »

hehe.  I didn't look at the picture before.  I wouldn't buy them, either.   afro

2004 Ti MSM, Royal Black 16x7 Rota GT3s, Tien SS, RB front ASB, FM Exhaust, Ebay IC, AEM Intake, MBC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: